Get It Done When You're Depressed by Julie A. Fast

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PluviophileReader
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluviophilereader.html
Latest Review: "Demiurge" by Michael Hagan

Get It Done When You're Depressed by Julie A. Fast

Post by PluviophileReader »

As I usually do with most of the self-help books I read, I took my time. What was refreshing with this book is that it helped me to realize that some of my thoughts and even behaviors are not actually who I am. That when I wake up in the morning and that cloud is lingering over me, I know that I may have difficulties with what I expected to get done that day, that my negative thoughts are a result of my depression and that my brain is lying to me as a result. In recognizing when I'm struggling, I know that I can put out the extra effort to push past as much as I can and still be productive or at least be kind to myself that day if it's particularly bad.

The author's main suggestions are in regards to self-recognition and knowing when your depression is taking hold and when your thoughts and behaviors can't be trusted, along with suggestions to stay focused and organized. The author also provides plenty of exercises to help the reader along. Additionally, she lays down the science behind getting enough sleep, the importance of exercise and the effects that alcohol and caffeine can have on a depressed brain. What was also very interesting was that at the end of each chapters she poses a question or scenario that relates to the content that was just discussed so that you can get the scientific explanation to that question.

Many people have complained that this book is too straight forward or that if they had tried the author's suggestions it would have made their depression worse for them but I disagree to an extent. I believe that this book is directed to people with mild to moderate depression, so those of us who are held together enough to not be hospitalized and are of no harm to ourselves or others. While depression sucks all around, no matter how bad you have it, the less severe it is the more we are able to deal with it and I feel that this book is a great aid for the milder situations. The information may be straight forward in some areas but how many of those complaining have willingly tried and put forth positive energy into applying the authors methods? Everything is harder when you're depressed so it takes more effort to try the exercises and recommendations but, like anything in life, the hard stuff is often worth it.

I think that there are a few stages that a sufferer goes through with depression. The beginning starts with the unawareness which is the pre-diagnosis, the second stage is that recognition and the diagnosis, and the third is how the person chooses to deal with the situation. Depression has a horrible way of making the sufferer very negative and more often than not during the third stage, the sufferer victimizes and feel sorry for themselves at some point. I think many people sadly, are not able to move past this victimization. With this victimization the sufferer believes that they are their condition and that nothing will ever change, therefore handing over all of their power, control, and ultimately their life over to the condition. This is why, I think some people scoff at the exercises and suggestions that the authors makes.

The suggestions, I think to a person in this position, seem to mock their suffering in that they didn't ask for depression so they don't need to be accountable for it. However, nobody asks for depression and just like a lot of things in life you have to learn to adapt and to deal. One of the most difficult things I've done has been recognizing my own depression for what it is, stop being angry that it's there, and learn to manage my life with it. Nothing happens over night, so repetition and practice are key to leading a life with depression which, is where this book comes in handy. Everyone is different to so not everyone's coping methods will be the same. Some people require more compassion while others need a tough love approach.

I believe that people who are dealing with mild to moderate depression don't have to let it consume their lives. Depression really blows and the effects from it can be overwhelming but the best plan of action is recognizing its presence and not giving up your control to it. It's a matter of trying to alter our focus and knowing that we have choices and we have options.

My one complaint with the book is that the chapters seemed a bit repetitive after a while in that the relayed very similar information. I mean, if practice and repetition are key I suppose this isn't a terrible thing, it just made for some tedious reading.

Overall I really enjoyed the books message and I have noticed a difference in my own work flow since reading this book. I highly recommend this book to anyone dealing with depression. I rate this book 3 out 4 stars.
The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Post by Skillian »

Very interesting book and great review. I like your analysis of those who are critical of the book. I have found I get that way when in a deeper depression, and I am also a self defeatist. I naturally assume things wont work, and come up with logical reasons why.. without actually trying anything. That can be really hard to shake. I know tactics I forced myself to try originally felt silly, but I just did it to say that I tried. In the end even the silliest of ideas ended up helping he a little bit.. even if all it did was make me feel silly. Which is better than feeling depressed. It is unfortunate that you say that the book gets repetitive, but then your reassurance as to how the book helped you... I think I will still add this to my reading list. Worth a try right? Thanks for the review!
I love LOVE. <3
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough
PluviophileReader
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluviophilereader.html

Post by PluviophileReader »

Definitely worth a read!
The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Wow, thanks for this very thorough review! I, too, suffer from mild to moderate depression, and I am very interested in reading this book. Most of the time I'm fairly productive, but I have my bad days where I start feeling sorry for myself and am in desperate need of a good kick in the pants. In times like these, picking up this book might be just what I need. :)
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

Thanks for the review. The book seems to deal with an issue that is becoming all too common now and hence important as well. It seems that author has suggested ways to deal with the issue of depression taking hold over oneself and I think this will make for an enlightening read.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”