Official Review: The Big Cats by Enid Joyce

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
knighthkm
Favorite Author: Too many
Favorite Book: Also too many
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-knighthkm.html
Latest Review: "The Big Cats" by Enid Joyce

Official Review: The Big Cats by Enid Joyce

Post by knighthkm »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Big Cats" by Enid Joyce.]
Book Cover for 2511
Share This Review

This book, The Big Cats, by Enid Joyce, is an excellent one. It is a non-fiction in which Joyce gives us many facts about big cats like the Lion, the Tiger, the Cheetah and others. I was very pleased with the way this book was written. Facts that are straight to the point and without all of the "fluff" that many other fact books give like just trying to fill up the space with many words or try to build up your curiosity first. There is nothing wrong with trying to build up curiosity with many words but in a factual book, like this, that would just get in the way.

The information was presented in a very organized manner and it included useful diagrams and pictures. The diagrams had very interesting facts like comparing the height or the weight of the big cats to each other among other things. She also had pictures of very interesting mix breeds like Ligers and such that would capture your attention. I do not always like to read a factual book but the way this was written and the unusual yet interesting information stored in this book caused me to enjoy it very much! Who would have known that a jaguar's bite is so strong that it can bite right through a victim’s skull?

I also very much enjoyed how Joyce, at the end of each chapter, gives a top 10 movies with each animal in it. I thought that was a very good way to get a person to take what they learn and look at where we place it in real life. For example, when talking about the number one movie with lions in it she said The Lion King was top. Even the Narnia series made it to the list.

There are only two downsides to this book. One thing I dislike is the book's length. I read the entire thing in one setting and depending on your reading speed you could finish it anywhere between 15 to 30 minutes. I wish it would have been longer. I suppose this complaint is only here because I loved the book so much. The second issue is a lack of the big cats discussed. Only 5 of them were brought up and I really think there should have been more discussed.

I would have enjoyed this book much more if there had been more content in it. I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it was written so perfectly and could really capture anyone's attention. I recommend this book to anyone who takes interest in animals, the world or anyone who is interested in reading a factual book.

Buy "The Big Cats" on Amazon
Latest Review: "The Big Cats" by Enid Joyce
Kappy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Essene Gospel of Peace
Currently Reading: McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container
Bookshelf Size: 762
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kappy.html
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Kappy »

Good review. I love reading about all kinds of cats, big and small. This book may be intended for young adults; that would explain why it is so short.
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”