Official Review: The Apron and Napoleon's Hat

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
GKCfan
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkcfan.html
Latest Review: The Silent Shadow by Pat S. Clarke

Official Review: The Apron and Napoleon's Hat

Post by GKCfan »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Apron and Napoleon's Hat" by Dr. H.Murray.]
Book Cover for 2540
Share This Review

The Apron and Napoleon’s Hat is a memoir of one man’s early life and medical career. It’s a colloquially written book, laced with humorous anecdotes and wry wit. The book opens with Murray discussing his early years in school, and the storyline moves towards Murray finding his way into a medical career, though there will be many false starts, and it will take a lot of self-introspection before he finds his way to a dream career.

This book strips away a lot of the glamour from the medical profession. Many people view being a doctor as a series of glorious triumphs, saving one life after another, and earning the respect and adulation of those around you, along with making a great deal of money. Television shows like Grey’s Anatomy and ER depict the medical profession as mostly beautiful people having romantic relationships with each other. Murray’s depiction of the daily grind of being a doctor is about as far away from the shiny Hollywood depiction as you can get.

The title of the book comes from a couple of short anecdotes in the book that illustrate just how gross working as a doctor can be. “The Apron” refers to the bellies of morbidly obese patients, which hang down over their waists. Often individuals with large quantities of stomach fat find it impossible to wash underneath their tummies and must therefore go to a hospital to be properly cleaned. I will not list the disgusting substances that can be found under “the apron” because I do not want to put anybody off reading this unique memoir. As for “Napoleon’s Hat,” I will not explain the details of that bizarre story for the same reason, except to say that once someone leans about people’s eyebrow-raising habits, one will never forget this anecdote, no matter how hard one tries.

A few portions of the book could use some polishing, and perhaps a little more information is needed to really understand why Murray made the career choices that he did, but all things considered, this is a very entertaining read, and Murray paints a particularly intriguing picture of himself. While it makes for a good book, The Apron and Napoleon’s Hat also has the potential to make for a very entertaining one-man show, as a skilled character actor could have a field day with a monologue about the humor of life in the medical profession.

I give this book three out of four stars.

Buy "The Apron and Napoleon's Hat" on Amazon
Buy "The Apron and Napoleon's Hat" on Barnes and Noble
JessiAnne26
Currently Reading: A Novel Bookstore
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessianne26.html
Latest Review: "Positive Thinking Positive Life: The Mindset" by Phil Hunter

Post by JessiAnne26 »

I worked for a little while in the medical profession and it is definitely disgusting. It's especially unique when you understand people make choices that lead them to the condition you've described here as "the apron" and I'm glad you weren't willing to share what the heck Napoleons hat has to do with it (though i'll admit i am a little curious). I wonder if the author would be willing to tell you why he had decided to go into and stay in the medical profession after everything was said and done.
Latest Review: "Positive Thinking Positive Life: The Mindset" by Phil Hunter
GKCfan

Post by GKCfan »

Yes, a lot of TV series make it seem like medicine is a glamorous profession, when in fact it revolves around a lot of grossness. I definitely recommend reading this book, for more reasons than finding out what happened to Napoleon's hat...
zoedecicco
Favorite Book: The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zoedecicco.html
Latest Review: "The Bad Path to Enlightenment" by Lee A. Eide

Post by zoedecicco »

Sounds like an interesting read. Thanks for the review.
"80% of success is showing up" - Woody Allen

"There are no small parts, only small actors." - Constantin Stanislavski
Latest Review: "The Bad Path to Enlightenment" by Lee A. Eide
GKCfan

Post by GKCfan »

You're welcome!
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

This does sound like an interesting book! My mother is in the medical profession, and I learned very early on that it is anything but glamorous! Working in a hospital requires a strong stomach and nerves of steel!!! Great review!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
GKCfan

Post by GKCfan »

Thank you! This book is full of humor, and that outweighs the less palatable anecdotes.
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

Nicely written review and the book definitely seems interesting. Will look out for it.
GKCfan

Post by GKCfan »

Thank you!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”