Quiet by Susan Cain

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fiction_Fanatic
Bookshelf Size: 0

Quiet by Susan Cain

Post by Fiction_Fanatic »

Do you prefer one-on-one conversations to group activities? Do you enjoy solitude? Does the word “networking” send a frisson of fear down your spine? Or, my personal favorite: Do you often let phone calls go to voicemail instead of answering? If your answer to these questions was "yes" you can (now) proudly call yourself an introvert.

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking, by Susan Cain, provides a delightful synopsis of scientific studies and historical references which expose the benefits of introversion.

Cain reviews longitudinal studies by psychologists who try to answer the question: Is introversion a learned behavior or something you’re born with? After decades of study, there is no definitive answer, although significant contributions have been made. One such study recorded the reaction of infants to new stimuli, then used that data to classify the infants as high sensitivity or low sensitivity. Not shockingly, the high sensitivity babies grew into introverts and the low sensitivity babies became extroverts. If you ever feel overwhelmed entering a party or large event, you were probably a high sensitivity youngster.

For historical context, Cain explains how and when introversion became blasphemy and why extroversion is a personality trait coveted in Western society. Half the population in the United States qualify as introverts; their experiences are validated by a thorough review of the merits of introversion.

Reading this book as a self-identified introvert, I felt relief. I remembered teachers’ criticism of my participation (or lack-of thereof) in class, the constant badgering to become more outgoing, the pressure to go out when all I really wanted to do was read. Quiet gave me the liberty to accept my introverted nature. Now, I have a context with which I can nurture my inner quiet.

In the final chapters, Cain provides advice for people teaching, parenting, or dating introverted people. Introverts have special gifts of concentration, sensitivity, and thoughtfulness. Those gifts need to be fostered by allowing the introvert time alone, the opportunity to figure out problems on their own, and calm environments to manage conflicts. Cain also informs readers how introverts can act like extroverts if the need arises. Quiet does not read like fiction; so don’t expect a scintillating story. Also, the book is targeted to introverts, except for the advice section at the end. Altogether, I found it to be an informative and engaging book, especially for those interested in the inner workings of the mind.

If you ever felt like something is wrong with you because you’re not typically effusive and gregarious, READ THIS BOOK!
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Oh, this book sounds wonderful! I'm an introvert, and I am often frustrated by society's negative view of silence and solitude. I recently received some unfair treatment due to my temperament (long story) and I really need some validation, so I am definitely putting this one on my reading list. Thanks for the review :)
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Mariesg
Currently Reading: Detention of Doom
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariesg.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by Mariesg »

I love this book and I love how it helped me better understand my nature and why I am the way I am. I feel like it helped me to accept better who I am and to try to find things that work for me. This book is something everyone should read, especially because people confuse shy and introverted a lot. Introverts can be shy but so can extroverts. We just prefer internal stimuli rather than external.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”