"A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier" by Ishamel Beah

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rath010
Currently Reading: Forgotten
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rath010.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

"A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier" by Ishamel Beah

Post by rath010 »

The story is a true account of children being placed as soldiers in war and it sounds as gruesome and heartbreaking as it is to read. Set in Sierra Leon, this book tells the story of a young boy who is forced into becoming a soldier at the tender age of twelve. Ishmael does a fantastic job of chronologically telling his story of survival and trauma from being a child soldier to rehabilitation and beyond. The narration draws you into not only the story, but his experiences, in a powerful and emotionally detailed manner.

There were many times reading this book that I had to remind myself that it was a factual tale. Obviously conversations and tiny details were likely elaborated due to the time distance, however Ishmael himself states that he has a photographic memory, so it's likely that this is 100% true down to the most minute detail. Regardless, it was a powerful book that I actually couldn't put down.

I would recommend this book to everyone and anyone because it is very important to learn just how much help is needed in certain parts of this world still struggling with these issues.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”