Why Should I Write? Julia Cameron - "The Right to Write"

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Carlton Carr
Favorite Author: Julia Cameron
Favorite Book: Witness To The Fire - Linda Leonard
Currently Reading: Writing Down Your Soul - Janet Conner
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlton-carr.html
fav_author_id: 13182

Why Should I Write? Julia Cameron - "The Right to Write"

Post by Carlton Carr »

If you are familiar with the work of Julia Cameron but, like me, have not had the opportunity to read “The Right to Write” you are in for a treat. If you have an interest in creating in any form at all this book will excite and inspire you.

I have been wanting to read Julia Cameron’s “The Right to Write” since I was introduced to her inspiring, ground breaking book “The Artist’s Way” nine years ago but have not been able to find it until now. Cameron is a recovering alcoholic and drug addict and she writes about creativity (or perhaps more accurately, creative recovery) from a spiritual point of view claiming that, “Creativity is an authentic spiritual path”.

If you have read “The Artists Way” you will already be familiar with some of the tools Cameron has devised to unblock creativity; Morning Pages, Artist’s Dates etc. While “The Artist’s Way” is designed to encompass all creative endeavors, “The Right to Write” is specifically about writing, although the practical tools that she offers are useful in all areas of creativity.

My favorite chapter speaks about the concept of the artist being a spiritual channel:
“When writing is perceived as channeling spiritual information rather than inventing intellectual information, writing becomes a more fluid process that we are no longer charged with self-consciously guarding. Instead, we are charged with being available to it. We can ‘plug in’ to the flow of writing rather than thinking of it as a stream of energy we must generate from within (ourselves).”
Julia Cameron rebels against what we were taught about “good writing” at school, urging us to give ourselves permission to write “badly”, to listen and “write down” rather than exerting unnecessary effort trying to “make up” what we write. She debunks the myths about writers that would have us starving, poor, eccentric, superstitious, unsociable and addicted if not totally mad. Her book will not tell you about correct grammar, spelling and punctuation, how to compose a submissions letter or what to look for in a publishers contract:
“What this book will do, if I have done it well enough, is talk to you about writing for the sake of writing, for the sheer unadulterated joy of putting words to the page. In other words, this is less a “how-to” book than a “why” book.
“Why should I write?”

Quotes from Julia Cameron’s “The Right to Write”
“The music of this opera (Madame Butterfly) was dictated to me by God. I was merely instrumental in getting it on paper and communicating it to the public.”
Giacomo Puccini
“Straightaway the ideas flow in upon me, directly from God.”
Johannes Brahms
“The position of the artist is humble. He is essentially a channel.”
Piet Mondrain
“I myself do nothing. The Holy Spirit Himself accomplishes all through me.”
William Blake
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

This books sounds like a worthwhile read for anyone who has writing aspirations. I think I will try to get my hands on this one. Thanks for the review.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Carlton Carr

Post by Carlton Carr »

Hi LivreAmour217, I hope you can find it but if you can't, try reading 'The Artists Way' - it is a classic. Be interested to know what you think of Julia Cameron's approach to creativity. Best Carl
arteg

Post by arteg »

Thank you, very interesting review! I am a songwriter and sometimes the melodies flow in upon me, directly from God
Carlton Carr

Post by Carlton Carr »

Thanks Arteg, I am a fledgling lyricist with a classical piano background and have been been working on writing songs with my talented musician nephew for the last six months. The two most successful songs thus far have emerged from poems that I wrote (see my post: Lyrics: Scars). Both of these poems arrived fully formed, without effort and without requiring much editing; as though they were gifts and I was merely taking dictation...it does happen, as you obviously already know.
Let others live in black and white; you must live in Technicolor...make your reader see the blood at the heart of the ruby. Rita Mae Brown

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”