Official Review: The Simple Potty Training Guide

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Official Review: The Simple Potty Training Guide

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Simple Potty Training Guide" by Jennie Graham.]
Book Cover for 2330
Share This Review

To a child, a toilet may look like a vortex to the unknown, where things are sucked down never to be seen again. Even as parents are going through the process of potty training their child for the first time, they should realize that this is also the first experience their child has of being potty trained.

The book ‘The Simple Potty Training Guide – The step by step approach to successful potty training’ by Jennie Graham is the perfect guide for parents who need a little help in the steps to take when dealing with a child who is going through the phase of potty training. It is a non-fiction book which deals with one of the main challenges that come up during parenting a small child, something that often gives parents nightmares, and one they wish could be over as soon as possible.

The book is quite short, with all the basic steps that a parent needs to go through with their child to ensure a successful and pleasant potty training for both the parents and the child. One of the most important aspects that the author highlights is the parents’ attitude towards the training, as this has a direct impact on what the child’s attitude will be, as well as their self-esteem. She also highlights that every child is an individual and there is no use comparing or being in competition with other parents’ children. The aspects that she concentrates on, are about communicating with your child, remaining in control whatever the situation and dealing with things patiently. She outlines all the things you will need when starting potty training, what to prepare when taking your child out the house, and how to deal with night time potty training.

I think that this book is quite a simple but helpful guide, especially for first-time parents who need some guidance as to what they should do when they undertake the task of potty training their child. There are no complicated methodologies that are introduced in the book, and all the steps are easily understandable, self-explanatory, and consistent.

Although I am not a parent, I am the eldest of many children, so in a sense I have gone through the phase of potty-training myself, and I can see that this book will be helpful for those who have no idea of where to start with this endeavor or those who need a few helpful steps to guide them. Although it may be very helpful to first time parents or parents who really need help in this department, those who have already been through potty-training probably won’t find much new in this book and will have already learnt through trial and error on their first kids. For this reason I am giving this book a three out of four stars.

Buy "The Simple Potty Training Guide" on Amazon
Buy "The Simple Potty Training Guide" on Barnes and Noble

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Little House
Favorite Author: Orson Scott Card
Favorite Book: Enders Game or maybe Enders Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-house.html
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
fav_author_id: 2667

Post by Little House »

I am so glad to be past this stage in parenting. I, like you, have younger siblings, but I sure learned a lot more as a parent. I wonder just how simple this book is if you didn't learn anything new?

Good review!
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
stoppoppingtheP

I am the eldest child, and therefore had a lot of 'hands on' responsibility. :)

but
instead

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Great review! I like the fact that the author emphasizes that each child is unique and should not be compared to other children. My parents would have benefited from this book, as they struggled with potty training my younger brother, who ended up needing both surgery and medication to correct separate bowel and bladder issues that made toilet training very difficult for him. What made things worse is that I supposedly taught myself to use the toilet, and I am guessing that my folks were comparing how easy it was for me with how difficult it was for my brother.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

Sounds like an interesting book. The subject of potty training is sure to attract many new parents , and your insightful review will certainly help in that.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

I am nearing the potty training stage with my first child. I have read a few things about it but it still seems to be a daunting task. I'm not sure this book will be any different from what I've already read though.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
stoppoppingtheP

I suppose with things like Potty Training the only way you will actually truly learn is will trial and error. (hopefully not too much errors ;) )

but
instead

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”