Anyone Read Any Holocaust Books?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
michystar12
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michystar12.html

Anyone Read Any Holocaust Books?

Post by michystar12 »

If you guys didn't already know, the holocaust is the time period when an anti-Semitic leader, Adolf Hitler blamed Jews for al the political and social problems in Germany. He discriminated them and execute them. This is really sad but I've been interested lately about the holocaust and I've read many books about this era. Anyone with the same interests?
kaleykutie123
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaleykutie123.html

Post by kaleykutie123 »

Yeah I too find books on the Holocaust interesting in the sense that it blows my mind that humans don't have a limit on hurting each other. My favorite Holocaust book that I have read would have to be "Night" by Elie Wiesel. It was one of the first books that I ever read that made me cry while reading it. Such a beautiful, but tragic story.
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

Night is excellent.

Also good: Number the Stars. And of course, The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom. There is also Maus by Artie Speigelman, which is a dark comic strip that goes back and forth between Artie's parents' experience in occupied Poland, and Artie's experience growing up as the son of survivors. The Reader deals with the aftereffects of the Holocaust in the next generation of Germany.

There is an author whose name I can't remember, but he has written quite a few dark novels set in Europe in the 1930s and 40s. The Polish Officer is the only title I remember. If you find that one, you can find all the others. They are amazingly well researched, and they are not just about the Holocaust. There is one that is mostly about Hungary, for example, and about Hungarian expats living in Paris. They just give you a wonderfully rich sense of the place and time.

For films, I think Swing Kids is great because some of the main characters are convinced by the Nazi mindset, and when you listen to them argue, you get confused. It doesn't portray their experience as consisting of easily identifiable good guys and bad guys.

Thank you for bringing up this topic. It is still very relevant. I hear that anti-Semitism is on the rise across Europe as we speak, demonizing the Israelis for how they are handling Hamas, and taking it out on Jews living in Europe. When I was a kid, I believed that no one living since the Holocaust could ever be anti-Semitic again. Now,I am shocked at how quickly it is coming back ... or maybe never left.
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard
michystar12

Post by michystar12 »

Thanks for sharing. You can bet I'll try to read them. Thanks again :)
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

You should read If this is a Man by Primo Levi
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
michystar12

Post by michystar12 »

I am finished reading Anne Frank and the children of the holocaust by Carol Ann Lee. It was really amazing. It showed in detail a lot of the writing in Anne Frank's diary and her perceptions about it.
Right now I'm starting to read Shadow Life by Barry Denenberg. So far it is a pretty good book. Again, full description. This is another book about Anne Frank but this time it is a portrait of Anne Frank and her family. I am really interested in Anne Frank and the Holocaust lately so I'm reading a lot of Holocaust Books.
Carla Hurst-Chandler
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Pirzig
Favorite Book: Zen and the Art...
Currently Reading: The Lost Landscape
Bookshelf Size: 124

Post by Carla Hurst-Chandler »

A Train in Winter by Caroline Moorehead is particularly good.
“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

I am currently, slowly making my way through Bonhoeffer by Eric Metaxas. It is really good so far in writing style and content. I think that I might need to focus on getting it done a little bit quicker than I have been. Still, it gives a great insight into the time leading up to and through the terrible reign of Hitler and the men who gave their lives trying to stop him.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
WinterCandyMints
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wintercandymints.html

Post by WinterCandyMints »

I love reading Holocaust books. I really enjoy The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. It's one of my favorites.
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

michystar12 wrote:I am finished reading Anne Frank and the children of the holocaust by Carol Ann Lee. It was really amazing. It showed in detail a lot of the writing in Anne Frank's diary and her perceptions about it.
Right now I'm starting to read Shadow Life by Barry Denenberg. So far it is a pretty good book. Again, full description. This is another book about Anne Frank but this time it is a portrait of Anne Frank and her family. I am really interested in Anne Frank and the Holocaust lately so I'm reading a lot of Holocaust Books.
Did you actually read the diary itself? It's great.

I would also recommend The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne. It's so much better than the film :)
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
hannah_Z

Post by hannah_Z »

The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen was very good. If I Should Die Before I Wake by Han Nolan. Prisoner of Night and Fog by Anne Blankman was actually incredible and written in a very unique view, I highly recommend this. I Will Plant You a Lilac Tree by Laura Hillman.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I read Anne Frank many years ago and Night by Elie Weisel last year. Night was so heartbreaking that it was difficult to read. I have written down some of the books mentioned in this thread. Thanks everyone for the recommendations.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
bookcrazy
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookcrazy.html

Post by bookcrazy »

I have read Anne Frank and Schindler's List. Loved them both. Schindler's list is a little slow in the beginning but its a great book.
puget sounder

Post by puget sounder »

I've read several books on the Holocaust, but there are two titles in my library that really stand out: (1) A Place to Hide - True Stories of Holocaust Rescues and (2) Hitler's Willing Executioners: Ordinary Germans and the Holocaust.

-- 06 Nov 2014, 14:07 --
bookowlie wrote:I read Anne Frank many years ago and Night by Elie Weisel last year. Night was so heartbreaking that it was difficult to read. I have written down some of the books mentioned in this thread. Thanks everyone for the recommendations.
Have the read the other two books in Wiesel's trilogy, Dawn and Day? I purchased all three at a used bookstore maybe a year ago. I've read Night and Dawn, but haven't gotten around to Day.
designerrosa
Favorite Author: Michael LeBoeuf
Favorite Book: Memoirs of a Geisha
Currently Reading: The Richest Man in Babylon by G. Classon
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-designerrosa.html

Post by designerrosa »

You should try Exodus by Leon Uris. Read it quite young but even at that age it was vivid and terrifying.

-- 13 Nov 2014, 05:56 --
bookcrazy wrote:I have read Anne Frank and Schindler's List. Loved them both. Schindler's list is a little slow in the beginning but its a great book.
I haven't read Schindler's List but i watched the movie. It was great.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”