Anyone Read Any Holocaust Books?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
suzy1124
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Anyone Read Any Holocaust Books?

Post by suzy1124 »

I've read all of the above, I found the Holocaust Museum in D.C. riveting, but Soo utterly depressing, it defies imagination...
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

And to think that there are actually people out there who deny that the Holocaust ever happened! :shock: That is about as insane as you can get!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
librarydancer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-librarydancer.html

Post by librarydancer »

The majority of the books everyone has mentioned are actually novels-- Night included. For instance, Night is semi-autobiographic, but Elie Wiesel has said it was too painful to write the entire truth. Schindler's List is also a biographical novel.

It sounds like most everyone on this thread enjoys the personal account type story... for non-fiction Holocaust books besides Diary of a Young Girl, I can think about some to recommend and respond on the posting.

For an interesting non-fiction that was meant for older kids, but I think is such an interfering story anyone would enjoy it try 'Secret of the Priest Grotto', a story about the discovery of a cave system and refuge for several Jewish families during the Holocaust.

Please let me know if you would like additional suggestions. I have worked as a librarian for a Jewish library, so I am familiar with the literature.
greyowl

Post by greyowl »

Hi I read Hanna's Suitcase one of the required readings for a Children's Lit course--highly recommend to any age
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

puget sounder wrote:I've read several books on the Holocaust, but there are two titles in my library that really stand out: (1) A Place to Hide - True Stories of Holocaust Rescues and (2) Hitler's Willing Executioners: Ordinary Germans and the Holocaust.

-- 06 Nov 2014, 14:07 --
bookowlie wrote:I read Anne Frank many years ago and Night by Elie Weisel last year. Night was so heartbreaking that it was difficult to read. I have written down some of the books mentioned in this thread. Thanks everyone for the recommendations.
Have the read the other two books in Wiesel's trilogy, Dawn and Day? I purchased all three at a used bookstore maybe a year ago. I've read Night and Dawn, but haven't gotten around to Day.
I didn't know that there were two other books. Thanks for the info.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
natasha richmond
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natasha-richmond.html

Post by natasha richmond »

I also love "Night" by Elie Wiesel. Very sad but really makes you see life in a new light.
toshilou
Favorite Author: Melissa de la Cruz
Favorite Book: The Fault in Our Stars
Currently Reading: The Night Circus
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toshilou.html
Latest Review: "Outcast" by Marc Saville
fav_author_id: 5235

Post by toshilou »

I highly recommend Night by Elie Wiesel. It's a true story.

-- 16 Nov 2014, 00:53 --

I also recommend The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Latest Review: "Outcast" by Marc Saville
OsakaBomb
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osakabomb.html

Post by OsakaBomb »

I read quite a few. In college, I took a class on holocaust literature, and it was one of the most interesting and emotionally exhausting classes I've had. I've read Survival in Auschwitz by Primo Levi, Still Alive: A Holocaust Girlhood Remembered by Ruth Klüger, Neighbors: The Destruction of the Jewish Community in Jedwabne, Poland by Jan Tomasz Gross, The Journal of Hèléne Berr by Hèléne Berr, The Eichmann Trial by Deborah E. Lipstadt and Between Dignity and Despair: Jewish Life in Nazi Germany by Marion A. Kaplan.

They were all very difficult reads, but I enjoyed (as weird as it feels to use that term) The Journal of Hèléne Berr, The Eichmann Trial and Neighbors. I also had the chance to witness a lecture by Eva Kor, a holocaust survivor, and had a chance to speak with her afterwards.
Sweet_Lullaby
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-lullaby.html
Latest Review: "The Key-Stone of the Bridge" by Craig Meggy

Post by Sweet_Lullaby »

Shindler's List was a great one. I've read one that was about two friends exchanging letters durng that time, one jewish living in the usa and the other a german living in Germany. It was pretty good by I totally forgot the title!! :(
Latest Review: "The Key-Stone of the Bridge" by Craig Meggy
nsharpes
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nsharpes.html

Post by nsharpes »

I'm not sure if anyone said this one, but When Paris Went Dark: The City of Light Under German Occupation, 1940-1944 by Ronald C. Rosbottom and as many people have also said, Night by Elie Wiesel is also great.

-- November 19th, 2014, 5:06 pm --

[quote="OsakaBomb"]I read quite a few. In college, I took a class on holocaust literature, and it was one of the most interesting and emotionally exhausting classes I've had. I've read Survival in Auschwitz by Primo Levi, Still Alive: A Holocaust Girlhood Remembered by Ruth Klüger, Neighbors: The Destruction of the Jewish Community in Jedwabne, Poland by Jan Tomasz Gross, The Journal of Hèléne Berr by Hèléne Berr, The Eichmann Trial by Deborah E. Lipstadt and Between Dignity and Despair: Jewish Life in Nazi Germany by Marion A. Kaplan.

I just finished a class in college on the Holocaust and we to read most of the books mentioned above. Excellent reads, but I would agree emotionally exhausting.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Are you all familiar with the definitive edition of Anne Frank's diary? It doesn't edit anything out like the boring version I read for school. If you've only read the one called Diary of a Young Girl, then you need to read the def. edition!!
Batesblogger
Favorite Author: Tamora Pierce
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Titans Curse
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-batesblogger.html
Latest Review: "Broken (I Live To Let You Shine)" by Kimmy Downing
fav_author_id: 3492

Post by Batesblogger »

Night is great. As is the always popular Anne Frank. There are quite a few non fictions that you can find as well.
Somewhere out there is a world we never knew existed.

Languages never spoken.
Colors that should not be.
Lives never opened.
Eyes that never see.

And then the page is turned, a universe created.

We are gods.
Latest Review: "Broken (I Live To Let You Shine)" by Kimmy Downing
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Listening to A Train In Winter about it right now!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
pretzelsnow
Favorite Author: Lynn Austin
Favorite Book: Long Time Coming by Edie Claire
Currently Reading: Silas Marner by George Elliot
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pretzelsnow.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 7595

Post by pretzelsnow »

I have read about the Holocaust in a book called The Nazi's Officers Wife- a true story by Edith Beer
When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.
— Walter Lippmann
Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Post by Himmelslicht »

I read the Diary of Anne Frank, The Book Thief, Slaughterhouse Five and still have a few to read on my list.
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”