Anyone Read Any Holocaust Books?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rizbi
Currently Reading: The Girl in the Spider's Web
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizbi.html
Latest Review: "Patrick's Journey" by Roy T Humphreys
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Anyone Read Any Holocaust Books?

Post by Rizbi »

- The Nazi Officer's Wife by Edith Beer --> story started in Vienna
- Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky --> story started in Paris
- Auschwitz: The Nazis and the Final Solution by Laurence Rees
Latest Review: "Patrick's Journey" by Roy T Humphreys
annaliseberkeley
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by annaliseberkeley »

i read a lot of short stories about the holocaust, as well as standards like the diary of Anne Frank. I think my favorite account of personal experiences in the holocaust was Night by Elie Wiesel, which I found a thoroughly intriguing and powerful reminder of an event which should never be allowed to occur again.
hannahbm13
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 920">Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone</a>
Currently Reading: Doctor Who: Winner Takes All
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahbm13.html
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz

Post by hannahbm13 »

I thought Night by Ellie Weisel was very good! In seventh grade we watched the Devil's Aritmetic and that was also very informative and at the same time interestingly fiction-ish.
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz
Mammatori
Currently Reading: Thoughtful
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Mammatori »

I am absolutely obsessed and reas everything about the holocaust I can fiction or nonfiction. Night by ellie weisel was the one that got me hooked. I saw him in person once. It was so heartbreaking and eye opening
tjacquez
Currently Reading: Orphan Train
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjacquez.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by tjacquez »

Night by Elie Wiesel is emotional and will open your eyes with his first hand account of his survival. I have had many students who hate to read but once they read this book they realized that there are people who have suffered as much if not more than they have (I teach in a juvenile detention center so teaching empathy is big). Number the Stars by Lois Lowery provides a fictional account that is great for young and struggling readers. The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is another that my students were able to read and better understand the horrors of the Holocaust and made them think about what they can do to try and prevent something like that from happening again.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
fabulasaule
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulasaule.html

Post by fabulasaule »

Most of Icchokas Meras books are about Holocaust. I have read his 'A Stalemate Lasts But a Moment'. Couldn't say it was something very special but if you are interested in the Holocoust, you could try. By the way the book is fiction...
adria_charles
Currently Reading: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up
Bookshelf Size: 268
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adria-charles.html
Latest Review: "Turka Bella" by Jonathan Feldman

Post by adria_charles »

Stalemate by Jonas Zdanys

One of my favorite books about the Holocaust. There are so many feels in this book.

In the Vilna Ghetto a Nazi Commander orders the Jewish children to be sent to death camps. One boy, Abraham Lipman, begs for him to spare the children and so the commander challenges the boy to a game of chess. If Abraham wins the children go free but he dies and if Abraham loses the children will die but he will live. There is only one way to save everyone and that's through a stalemate.
Latest Review: "Turka Bella" by Jonathan Feldman

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”