My Horizontal Life by Chelsea Handler

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Courtney Whittamore
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtney-whittamore.html
Latest Review: "The Farewell Season" by Ann Herrick

My Horizontal Life by Chelsea Handler

Post by Courtney Whittamore »

If anyone knows sex, it's Chelsea Handler. I have been a fan of her former talk show Chelsea Lately for many years before I ever picked up one of her books. As I usually do, I started at the beginning of her writings. My Horizontal Life was the first of her many comedy style books.

My Horizontal life is a collection of essays/short stories about her "sexcapades" in her earlier years. Early on she describes how she always found that no matter how amazing someone's body is, they look even skinnier and more toned while laying down, which totally makes sense and since reading this have put to the test. Totally true. Upon her discovery she decided is this how she wanted to be seen most of the time, so she would invite men into her bed quicker than most simply so they could see her on her back. This unique way of looking at the insecurities of women with a truthful yet humorous scope is seen throughout the book, and this is only an example of the many epiphanies Handler shares with her readers that she discovered during her intimate adventures.

Infused with booze and a big mouth, Handler has plenty of stories to share that end up between the sheets, including an encounter with a little person and a sombrero. While the stories may seem cheap, she does not go for the cheap laugh. Her humor is intelligent and thoughtful but definitely not reserved. The entire book is after all, about sex. It was a very quick read and one that included lots of laughs and even a few I-am-so-glad-that-wasn't-me moments, but overall I thought that it was worth the read.

However there is only so much you can say about sex. Sex is sex. So there were times where the thought crossed my mind that I wished there was something more to this than simply the physical stuff. Much like a relationship, it's about more than just sex, and with books, I think it should be too.
Latest Review: "The Farewell Season" by Ann Herrick
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by amybo82 »

I love humorous memoirs. Unfortunately, I couldn't make it very far into My Horizontal Life. I really did try, but as you mention, there's only so much you can say about sex. I gave up a few chapters in!
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman
Camille2020
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille2020.html

Post by Camille2020 »

I loved this book! I found it funny because sex is so awkward. Chelsea Handler is in the new form of sexual revolution. Chelsea is a comedian that makes fun of everyone and herself all the time. The joke of guy being able to sleep around is fine but if women do it then they are whores is slowly losing momentum because these strong female comedians are pointing it out and making fun of it.
vwswims
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by vwswims »

Chelsea Handler is a riot!

I find her awkward discussions about sex relatable and humorous. She may be known as someone who takes things to the edge but if she didn't who would?! I come back to this book over and over again when I need some kind of a pick me up.

My Horizontal Life is a winner in my eyes and a book that will stay in my collection for many more years.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”