Aim for the Moon by Gladys Lim

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Titanoboa92
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-titanoboa92.html
Latest Review: "Aim For The Moon" by Gladys Lim

Official Review: Aim For The Moon by Gladys Lim

Post by Titanoboa92 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Aim For The Moon" by Gladys Lim.]
Book Cover for 2309
Share This Review

Aim for the Moon by Gladys Lim is a nonfictional, motivational book. Its purpose is to act as a sort of instruction manual for setting goals and reaching them. Lim’s book is meant to help readers get onto their own path to success.

Lim directs readers to choose something that makes them happy, commit to it, and take small steps in order to reach their goals. In this case and others, I believe that Lim utilizes sound ideas and advice; however, I found most of it to be extremely clichéd. I have heard a lot of the phrases she used, like, “learn to listen to yourself,” or “take a leap of faith,” outside of the book and while I think the ideas are worthwhile, I do not think they are original enough for me to want to pick up the book.

In that same way, I think a lot of the ideas that Lim presents in the book are common sense. I do not feel like I learned anything new from reading the book, and I do not think my time was well spent in reading the book. Lim also writes in a highly didactic way so that I felt like she was lecturing to me. A lot of her ideas were explained through the use of metaphors that just insulted my intelligence because I felt like everything she was telling me was so obvious I did not require her longwinded, metaphorical explanations.

The book had a lot of grammatical errors, for instance, in the sentence, “My idea of ‘good luck in your journey’ was the ability to get a seat on the train so I can continue on my sleep from where I last left off with.” ends in a preposition. I also think the book could have been written in a more interesting way. It was a pretty bland read and I became disinterested a few times.

Overall, I thought Aim for the Moon was a bland read. I was not interested because I had already heard nearly all of the ideas Lim presented. I think if people are looking for motivation to reach success, there are probably many other books and resources that would be more helpful than this one. I would not recommend this to other readers. I rate this book 1 out of 4 stars. It is a fine idea for a book, but it needs more work and deeper thoughts in order to make much of a difference for people looking to reach their goals.

Buy "Aim For The Moon" on Amazon
Buy "Aim For The Moon" on Barnes and Noble
Latest Review: "Aim For The Moon" by Gladys Lim
jcheiser
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcheiser.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by jcheiser »

It's a shame this book is not interesting and doesn't have new ideas. I think this idea is something many people could benefit from. The thing is, the people who need this concept the most will not have what they need in order to get through the book. Too bad.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”