Review of "Not Afraid Of Life"

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmandy38
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Currently Reading: The Zookeeper's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmandy38.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0
fav_author_id: 2460

Review of "Not Afraid Of Life"

Post by mmandy38 »

Not Afraid of Life is the story of her life written by Bristol Palin, daughter of Sarah Palin, John McCain's running mate.

This is not the type of book that I would typically read and I'm not sure what compelled me to pick it up, but it definitely gave an insight to the Palin family.

It goes through recollecting Bristol's childhood and going through her school years with her mom being in politics and her dad being gone for business. Then continues with Sarah being announced as VP candidate, and how her life changed from that. It shows that struggles that she had, getting pregnant at a young age, and the problems that she dealt with, including her son's father.

One thing that I did not find too appealing in the book was that some of the story she told in a lot of detail, while other (I though more important parts) she kind of just described it in a sentence or two. She also kinda portrayed herself as a victim throughout the book and it was like everyone was out to get her and her family the entire time.

This book was definitely written for the younger audiences, teen to young adult, and I think it is to give them a better perception of the struggles that they could endure.

One thing about this book though is no matter who you are or where you came from, you can relate to this girl. At the beginning of the story, I felt as if she was telling my own story, or at least people that I knew. Everyone has problems that they have to face, and I feel that she faced them as a normal girl, and not a "celebrity".

I will give this book a 2.5 out of 4, mainly because it never got to a point where I just could not put it down. Props to Bristol though for dealing with all of her struggles while in the eyes of every American, and raising her son and providing for him as she should.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”