Official Review: Kelong Kings: Confessions of the world's...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarah1
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah1.html
Latest Review: "The Paranormal Gazette" by Anthony Bartholomew

Official Review: Kelong Kings: Confessions of the world's...

Post by Sarah1 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Kelong Kings: Confessions of the world's most prolific match-fixer" by Wilson Raj Perumal, Alessandro Righi, Emanuele Piano.]
Book Cover for 1954
Share This Review

"Kelong Kings: Confessions of the world's most prolific match-fixer" by Wilson Raj Perumal, Alessandro Righi, and Emanuele Piano, is the true story of Wilson Raj Perumal written in his own words. As the title implies, Perumal was a very prominent match-fixer until his arrest and subsequent unveiling of the operation.

The story begins with Wilson Raj Perumal's childhood and the beginning of his love for football—American soccer. Also mixed in is the local culture of Singapore and the depiction of average life in the places where Perumal grew up.

Growing up in the poorer areas of Singapore, Perumal was introduced to gambling and general mischievousness through his friends in school, which ultimately cost him immensely. His beginnings were small, starting with average teenage naughtiness, building into serious gambling and match-fixing. Fixing matches involved rigging a game by whatever means necessary, paying off members of the team or integrating his own hired players into the match. Either way, the result was a huge payout for a large bet placed on a game with rigged results.

Though mostly interesting, it could almost be said that the book was filled with too much information. Several instances of the same subject were covered (i.e., fixing small matches in the beginning) that could have been condensed to make the book less repetitive. Also, some characters in the book seemed superfluous—after their story was told, they played no other role in the book. They had very little to do with the main character other than it appears they provided Perumal the opportunity to call them names and air their “dirty laundry.” Ironically, throughout the book, he professes to be a "good guy," which is supposed to be apparent by his ability to resist the urge to rat out his colleagues "dirty laundry," because (he claims) it was none of his business. Yet, in the book he repeatedly trounces them verbally. Unfortunately, the story is riddled with seemingly unnecessary profanity which limits the audience to adult readers. There are many young readers avidly interested in sports who would find the subject of this book very intriguing.

I would give "Kelong Kings: Confessions of the world's most prolific match-fixer" a 3 out of 4 stars. Although the subject was not one of my stronger interests, many people would be fascinated to learn about the match-fixing and how it started. Others may find it interesting as a criminal novel, revealing the beginnings, downfall, and redemption of a convicted felon.

Buy "Kelong Kings: Confessions of the world's most prolific match-fixer" on Amazon
Buy "Kelong Kings: Confessions of the world's most prolific match-fixer" on Barnes and Noble
"You're never too old, too wacky, too wild, to pick up a book and read to a child." Dr. Seuss
sahmoun2778
Favorite Author: Dana Stabenow
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahmoun2778.html
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
Reading Device: 1400698987
fav_author_id: 10781

Post by sahmoun2778 »

Thanks for the review. I'm not a sports person myself but my family is big on soccer so I thought this might be interesting for them. Thanks for mentioning the language thing.
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
Sarah1
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah1.html

Post by Sarah1 »

No problem! I hope you enjoy it!
"You're never too old, too wacky, too wild, to pick up a book and read to a child." Dr. Seuss

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”