Official Review: Intermittent Fasting:Tips For Vegan,How ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Reading lady
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reading-lady.html
Latest Review: "Cunnilingus Mastery" by John M

Official Review: Intermittent Fasting:Tips For Vegan,How ...

Post by Reading lady »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Intermittent Fasting: Tips For Vegan, How To Lose Weight, Belly Fat, Stay Healthy, Low Carb Diet Books" by Richard McGregor.]
Book Cover for 1048
Share This Review

The book "Intermittent Fasting: tips for vegan, how to lose weight, belly fat, stay healthy, low carb diet book" is written by a Health Guru according to the title page of the book. In the information provided by Online Book Club I am told that Richard McGregor is the author. This is a non-fiction book that tries to explain what intermittent fasting is, how to implement into your life and the benefits of following this practice.

I can only rate this book 1 out of 4 stars for many reasons. My first concern is the language and sentence structure of the book. It quickly becomes evident hat the book was written by someone whose first language is NOT English. I suggest that the author should have had the book edited by someone whose native language IS English. I believe that any book, no matter what language it is being released in or translated to, should be proofed or edited by a person that is conversant in that language. Not only was the grammar poor but the manner of expressing ideas was often awkward making it a little difficult to read. Just note the title of the book as an example.

Next, the author himself seems to have no credentials, other than to call himself the Health Guru. At the conclusion of the book in the "About the Author" he says he has been a health enthusiast for two decades and although he would like to introduce himself he realizes that "your intent here is most likely to learn as much as you can about Intermittent Fasting and how to lose weight correctly through dieting". He respects that and thus, I assume, feels no need to tell us anything about himself. No credentials. No reason why we should follow his suggestions in this book. Sorry but this doesn't cut it when referring to something this important that could affect people's health. The premise of this book could be dangerous in some people's hands.

The book is not overly long, but only makes a few points and makes them repeatedly, stating them in a few different ways, coming at it from a couple of directions. It became somewhat boring after a bit with no specific, practical methods. I have to admit that finally I just skim read to finish it.

These are the general problems with the way the book was written now I would like to address the specific problems related to the content. This is where my greatest concern lies.

This book deals with fasting - intermittently - as a means of losing weight, particularly belly fat; how to do it, why you should do it and the benefits of such a method. (As an aside, nowhere did I see any mention of vegan diets, not even the word, as the title suggests) A few times the author refers to studies or experiments done to illustrate his point, but never cites any specifics about the studies or research. Given he presents no credentials himself I wonder about the lack of substantive information and the credibility of this book.

Intermittent fasting refers to short term fasting for 8, 14, 24 or 36 hours, depending on the preferences of the person, done on an irregular schedule. No guidelines are given. The suggestion to fast, by just skipping a few meals here and there cause me to pause and wonder. Have we ever been told, when dieting to not skip meals but rather to eat more smaller meals? The point being that when you miss a meal the body goes on alert, thinking it is being starved and thus produces more stored fat - belly fat! His suggestion to fast, say 14 hours is to just eat later at night (8:00pm) then skip breakfast and eat a normal lunch. How many times have you heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day; that a good breakfast kick starts your metabolism for the day and you should never skip it? Guess all these experts we have been listening to for many decades have been wrong!

These are two major points that go against the various experts on food, nutrition and dieting. Some other smaller concerns are: this so called guru does not lay out any specific guidelines or plans, and he talks in very general terms as to how to go about this program, (Not a very practical useful tool for the general public); when he addresses the pros and cons the only con he can offer is that you will experience hunger pains which are hard to ignore, particularly on a longer fast. Really?? I think the medical field and nutritionists would take issue with that conclusion.

I am sure there are many more problems/concerns with what he suggests but I myself am not an expert in the field My biggest concern is that this book ( I use the word loosely) will be released to the public, with dangerous ramifications. Our health and well being is too important to play with using suggestions such as this author is promoting with no scientific evidence to back it up.

Buy "Intermittent Fasting:Tips For Vegan,How To Lose Weight,Belly Fat,Stay Healthy,Low Carb Diet Books" on Amazon
Latest Review: "Cunnilingus Mastery" by John M

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”