Official Review: The Mighty LWF by CM Venom

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BookWorm07
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm07.html
Latest Review: "The Voice of Thunder" by Raina Kadavil

Official Review: The Mighty LWF by CM Venom

Post by BookWorm07 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Mighty LWF" by CM Venom.]
Book Cover for 2060
Share This Review

The Mighty LWF is an autobiography of C.M. Venom, which chronicles his life as the co-founder of a Chicago based wrestling company called the Lunatic Wrestling Federation (LWF). The LWF that went from essentially being a group of friends doing what they love, to a company putting on legitimate shows that drew hundreds and hundreds of people and created wrestling superstars like C.M. Punk, alias Phil Brooks.

After two years of successful and legitimate operation, things were going great for the company. It was then that Broox, Punk’s brother, was found to have embezzled huge amounts of money from the company, pushing the company to the very brink of bankruptcy. Punk, himself, had a feud with the other founders and was forced to leave the company. Though, both Brooks brothers had a hand in LWF’s downfall, Venom blames Punk the most. He says Broox “…wasn’t the Brooks brother responsible for maliciously trying to destroy the company we all sacrificed so much to build…”

Though Broox later repays the money he stole, Punk’s departure and LWF’s own precarious financial position combined with a declining interest in wrestling among the public, it got difficult to just break-even. Hence was the decision to cut their losses short. However LWF still remains as one of the best times in the lives of those associated with it. This is evident in the last chapter of the book which quotes some of the former LWF wrestlers about that period in their lives.

The book is entertaining and engaging right from the start and I liked reading Venom’s random commentary on things like Future Phone Call. Although I went into the novel with some skepticism having never read non-fiction before, I found myself thoroughly enjoying myself.

Wrestling fans will get to know about many events that happened behind the scenes of pro wrestling and about the Indy circuit in the early and mid nineties; but it has something to offer for others as well. It tells a story of friendship that prevails even after screwing up. It inspires one to pursue dreams, no matter how impossible they seem to be. If a bunch of young men dressed up in bright costumes can become professional wrestlers then you too can achieve your unreal goals.

The best part of the novel for me was that the LWF (except C.M. Punk that is) didn’t completely abandon Broox his fraud was revealed. Instead they choose to only keep him out of the company. He was allowed to hang out with them outside LWF. Though it was fear of Broox committing suicide, it was a nice and generous gesture considering the circumstances.

Another nice touch to the novel was that meanings for technical jargons were provided as part of the story itself, rather than in an appendix, which made it easier to just keep up with the plot instead of having to look up definitions.

The writing itself, is informal and the author uses slangs and texting lingo. There were many grammatical and spelling errors though. Albeit being a minor issue, they still distracted me from the plot. Also, there is quite a bit of profanity, so if you aren’t comfortable with that, then this book isn’t for you.

Overall, I’d rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars.

Buy "The Mighty LWF" on Amazon
"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic" - J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "The Voice of Thunder" by Raina Kadavil

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”