Official Review: Nixola by Chris

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Official Review: Nixola by Chris

Post by Amheiser »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Nixola" by Chris.]
Book Cover for 1228
Share This Review

Nixola is a collection of non-fiction newspaper articles on e-book edited by Christopher Tobin. Tobin said he was researching early issues of The World, a New York newspaper which was very successful in the early 1900s but is now discontinued. He was side-tracked by articles he found that were written by a young female journalist, Nixola Greely-Smith.

Nixola’s interest in, and aptitude for journalism was apparent and probably influenced by her grandfather, Horace Greely, editor of the New York Tribune. Even though he died before she was born, she appreciated his legacy of being an uncompromising fighter for the right who turned the limelight on oppression and corruption in the world. During his time as editor there was no TV or radio, and newspapers were the chief source of information, and as such, they exerted enormous influence. Nixola believed that newspaper writers should believe in the ultimate value of what they were doing and that newspapers should be used as an “opportunity for helping in the accomplishment of the world’s work”. Nixola wrote with insight, intelligence, and humor and believed in the messages she conveyed.

Tobin was impressed by Nixola’s articles but wondered why he didn’t know who she was. He surmised that her stance on some of the issues she wrote about, and the way she was labeled as a “sob sister”, or writer about subjects that pulled on the heartstrings of people, may have compromised her career even though the label wasn’t entirely correct. At one point, her writing concerning women’s suffrage upset two British feminists who accused her of “unscrupulous press manipulation”. This, along with a pro-war stance, alienated her from her reformist friends, and her prominence as a journalist waned, but when she died at a young age from appendicitis, her years of service and support for women’s rights was appreciated by her fellow journalists.

I found this collection of articles about life and important issues in the early 1900s very interesting. I was impressed by Nixola’s insight into a variety of subjects. I would recommend this collection of articles to anyone interested in American history during that time period, and especially the history of women’s rights in its early stages.

I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. There were just a few typos that didn’t take away from the content of the articles. The book was well written, well organized, and I think Tobin did a good job of choosing articles that showed Nixola’s character and beliefs. Each article had editor’s notes about what was happening at the time in history that the article was written so it was interesting to read about what was happening in the world during the period that Nixola was a journalist. Her articles provide “an insightful view of early 20th century America, the mores, the attitudes, the prejudices – especially against women and the poor – and sometimes the horrors”.

Buy "Nixola" on Amazon
View hassle-free sample of "Nixola"
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel
npandit
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-npandit.html
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen

Post by npandit »

This sounds like it would be really interesting. Great review! :)

I've noticed a problem though--the link to buy it on Amazon isn't working. Maybe Scott or someone can contact the author and let them know?
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”