Bitter is the New Black: (SPOILERS)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
klomen16
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klomen16.html

Bitter is the New Black: (SPOILERS)

Post by klomen16 »

I've read two of this author's books in less than a week. Both of them are considered memoirs, this one was about her losing her job and having to completely change her way of life. She lives in a big city with a great job and would definetely be considered materialistic. Her husband and her both get laid off at different times and they end up having to move out of the big city. The main character Jen is hitting the job trail hard for about two years. It gets to a point where it's so bad she and her husband almost have to move in with her parents. Then at the last two chapters her husband gets offered a job and she gets offered a corporate job, but she decides she would rather write and become an author. This book had a lot of satire and reminded me of Lets Pretend this never happened. I think that's why I couldn't put it down.
kellyann1214
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kellyann1214.html

Post by kellyann1214 »

I laughed out loud a few times while reading and was really rooting for Jen, the main character. At times I was annoyed by her thinking patterns but I found myself not able to stop reading. It is a quick read and a good summer/beach read if you want mindless entertainment.
Courtney Whittamore
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtney-whittamore.html
Latest Review: "The Farewell Season" by Ann Herrick

Post by Courtney Whittamore »

Thank you for this review! I this book had been recommended to me awhile back but I had forgotten about it until I saw your post. I have just placed a reserve request for it at my local library and am very much looking forward to reading it! It sounds like an excellent, light-hearted read.
Latest Review: "The Farewell Season" by Ann Herrick
irag12

Post by irag12 »

I was planning on getting this book as the reviews have been good. Guess i get to get it now.

Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by amybo82 »

I've seen this book sitting on the shelves in bookstores and libraries, but I've always avoided it because it looked too pretentious and outside of my range. However, your review makes it sound more interesting! I think I might give it a try!
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”