Review: So You Wanna Date an Activist? by Barbara Payne

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Review: So You Wanna Date an Activist? by Barbara Payne

Post by L_Therese »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "So You Wanna Date an Activist?" by Barbara Payne.]
Book Cover for 1800
Share This Review

Have you ever known someone who is so intense that you just don’t know how to approach him or her? Have you witnessed someone consumed by passion for a cause and wanted to be his or her friend? Have you seen people who work themselves to the bone over an issue that maybe only grazes your daily consciousness? If so, this book is for you.

So You Wanna Date an Activist? by Barbara Payne is an essay about the social life and foibles of a GenX (socially liberal) activist. Ms. Payne writes about the way an activist’s mind works, the way she seeks and selects dates and mates, and the avoidable pitfalls that a prospective date/mate might run into that could ruin all chances for a relationship. Her comments range in topic from sexual orientation, the temptation to become sexually involved with close colleagues, feminism, consumerism, and drug culture.

In style, the book is very conversational. Grammar rules are thrown out the window for a more speech-friendly method of communication. There is also an abundance of slang and profanity, which may confuse or alienate readers. But whereas this style may be frustrating to some, to others, it will seem more honest and humorously blunt. That distinction will be entirely dependent on reader’s preference.

Speaking of bluntness, Ms. Payne is clearly a very driven individual who constantly associates, by her own admission, with other similarly driven individuals, albeit sometimes for different causes. That means that some of her remarks may come off as grating or offensive to some readers. As with real persons with whom you may have face-to-face conversations, remember that blanket statements can become habit, decline to take offense, and move on. Ms. Payne is not acknowledging exceptions because that is not her business. Her opinions in this book represent a lifestyle built on the idea that, after examining a situation, you decide what is right, and then you struggle to the limit of your ability (and maybe beyond) to convince everyone else to agree with you and join your fight. If that kind of bluntness does not appeal to you, reader, don’t read this book.

I’m giving this book 3 out of 4 stars. I found it to be engaging and interesting overall. It is a short read that might be best compared to standing outside and being suddenly buffeted by a gust of wind. Too much could cause some problems, but just one little gust will make you smile and feel a little more alive.

Buy So You Wanna Date an Activist? by Barbara Payne
Amh73090
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amh73090.html
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd

Post by Amh73090 »

This sounds like a great book. I am one of those readers who likes a more relaxed feel to her books. Thanks for reviewing it.
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd
LINA M-EMBER AMA
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lina-m-ember-ama.html
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan

Post by LINA M-EMBER AMA »

This does not seem like my kind of book. Good review. Dating can be a challenging task.
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan
KeriCraven
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kericraven.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by KeriCraven »

Dating is already a difficult task. Add on the other layers and it can be more of a challenge. Great review.
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Al Chakauya »

I am happy you found the book to be engaging, it must be an intriguing story. Thank you for writing a superb review.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

It sounds interesting but I keep wondering - what type of activist is she? What are the key issues she is passionate about? That would probably be a deciding factor in whether I wanted to read it.
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

I think it would be interesting to peek inside the brain of an activist. I found the title bit interesting just like your review. Going to give this one a read sometime.
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
Samtonx
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Samtonx »

I found this book intresting, many are victim of this thinking life in dating is a worth difficult.
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

The title of this book fascinated me but that is where it ends. Thanks for the lovely review.
YSF97

Post by YSF97 »

It's an interesting topic, but my stand is, why will she want to date in the first place? Had she taken all necessities into consideration, she might have ended well
Uinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uinto.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Uinto »

Will be interesting to read the views of a social liberal. I'm sure he has a lot to say. Thanks for your review.
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

It seems very interesting to read about the thoughts and attitudes of an activist! Thanks for a good review!
Amy747
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy747.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Amy747 »

teacherjh wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 15:04 It sounds interesting but I keep wondering - what type of activist is she? What are the key issues she is passionate about? That would probably be a deciding factor in whether I wanted to read it.
I agree but perhaps the book never mentions it because the author may be trying to appeal to a wider audience. However, I find it hard to believe that someone so passionate could write an entire book without mentioning their own key issues of activism.
Yang Soja

Post by Yang Soja »

Well, this book is interesting, because activists are unique, think and see things in a different way. Hence, it would be difficult for them to find a date.
Frannie Annie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frannie-annie.html
Latest Review: Farewell, Fair Child by joseph amirikhas

Post by Frannie Annie »

Glad you reviewed this book. I'm no activist, but it would be interesting to see how these people think and associate with others.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”