Official Review: Running with a wounded heart

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Scorsee
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scorsee.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Official Review: Running with a wounded heart

Post by Scorsee »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Running with a wounded heart" by Stephen Morley.]
Book Cover for 1417
Share This Review

Stephen Morley tells his story of learning to love running late in life, the heart attack that nearly ended his life and his recovery to compete once more in competitive racing in his first published book titled Running with a Wounded Heart. This book is aimed toward older runners and athletes but has a compelling story which anyone who has overcome seemingly insurmountable odds can appreciate. The author effectively tells his tale with many a humorous anecdote to carry the reader through the more serious parts of the story.

Morley had been running for many years when, during a short race he had competed in on several occasions, he began to experience what he came to realize was a heart attack. Through working with his doctors he learned to work through what could be considered a debilitating setback to once more pursue running with a renewed passion for life. While this is the inciting incident which propelled Morley to share his knowledge with others, there is much more to his story. Throughout the book Morley brings advice for older runners and those who are interested in learning to run. As well as sharing advice on balancing individual passions with the needs of those who share in your life.

On more than one occasion he brings in the stories of the people have helped him in training and life. Age differences do not have to create barriers between to people, even in running, but can instead become beautiful beginnings to friendship. The tales of the friendships he found through his interest in running help the reader to understand the connections that can built between two people when they share similar passions.

This is both an instructive and entertaining book. The author cites many sources which support and encourage his perspectives on running and includes small heart insignias to paragraphs that specifically relate to working through a heart attack. As someone who has enjoyed competitive races, I enjoyed the author’s stories of some of the many races he has been a part of. Though I am not an older runner, I found myself reading his story and better understanding the effort and commitment behind those in the author’s position.

Encompassing a period of more than a decade, the author does an excellent job of describing his methods of training, both before and after his cardiac episode, and includes enough amusing tales to carry the reader through to the finish. I give this book a 3 out of 4 Stars because I feel that it is well worth reading for its compelling story and life lessons which can encourage anyone to work through the obstacles they face in life.

Buy "Running with a wounded heart" on Amazon
“It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.” -Albus Dumbledore

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”