Official Review: For the People: A small town's struggle ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
tracy19
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tracy19.html
Latest Review: "The Secret Book of Designs" by Catamount Mayhugh

Official Review: For the People: A small town's struggle ...

Post by tracy19 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "For the People: A small town's struggle for freedom against apartheid" by Anelia Schutte.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This book tells the true life stories of life for the South African people during apartheid. It follows social worker Owena Schutte’s struggle to help the underprivileged people and all that she saw and experienced as a social worker during apartheid. The book is told in the past and the present and we hear about the stories directly from the people who suffered through these hard times for Colored and black South Africans. How they had to live in squalor and without so many basic necessities, how they were moved around and evicted from their houses because of the color of their skin.

This is a book filled with lots of heartache and joy as many of the people in this book overcame the hardships they had to live through and got a chance to tell their story.

I really enjoyed this book and struggled to put it down. This book intrigued me and I could not wait to hear how everyone mentioned in the book lives turned out. As a South African I have heard of apartheid and of the pain and suffering the people in our country suffered, but this book really made me realize how bad it actually was for some. The book has a great story line that is filled with so much information directly from those that were there at the time when apartheid was at its worst. The book was so full of the emotions of love, hatred, heartache and moments of happiness. It made me realize how grateful I should be for all that I have in life, because the black and colored South African’s during Apartheid had to live with the bare minimum. This book gets to the heart of the story and shows us what an amazing person Owena is, how she tried to help all those in need without expecting anything in return.

I loved the authors writing style, I think she knows how to write a good book that captivates and keeps an audience entertained right to the end. The author is Owena’s daughter so she got to hear the story first hand from her mother’s point of view and how she personally saw all the pain that was experienced. Owena was the people’s hero, she was their Nobantu.

I would definitely recommend this book to all, it was a good read and worth the time it takes to read it. I would rate this book a 4 out of 4.

Buy "For the People" on Amazon
View "For the People" on Bookshelves
Latest Review: "The Secret Book of Designs" by Catamount Mayhugh
Samperry82
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samperry82.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by Samperry82 »

I loved your review it was very formal. I was wondering if you could tell me how users review books and post their reviews?
JenniferBoyce
Favorite Author: Jared Diamond
Favorite Book: The Name of the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenniferboyce.html
fav_author_id: 3301

Post by JenniferBoyce »

What a fantastic review! This definitely sounds like an interesting and powerful read. I will have to check this book out.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Just saw this on BOTD! Sounds amazing!

I am glad to see that you enjoyed the book, and I love the reasons for your rating. Over on this side of the world, we don't often hear about South Africa and the history, but it seems like something we should be more educated about.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Thank you for your insightful review. Seems like an important book to read. It is good that the author managed to combine a great story and information in an interesting way. Congratulations to the author for the positive review! :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Joyreader
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Bookshelf Size: 430
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyreader.html

Post by Joyreader »

Reviewed really well. And the book seems to be an emotional one
ChrisKauf
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chriskauf.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by ChrisKauf »

It sounds like a very emotional book and one that touched you personally. Very nice review. It should inspire many to read the book.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
1_2_5_am
Currently Reading: Once Upon a Time in Korea
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1-2-5-am.html

Post by 1_2_5_am »

This is such an incredible review!! You gave me so much insight into this book! Oh, & I absolutely adore the fact that this story is told in the past/present!!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you so much for the well-written review! I actually didn't know much about apartheid. I love when authors can teach you something new. It's also wonderful that the author was willing to share her experiences!
Congratulations to the author for receiving such a positive review! :tiphat:
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

It sounds like a touching book. I am unfamiliar with apartheid, but love books that teach you something. Thanks for the great review!
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
HalcyonFlower
Currently Reading: Hearts In Atlantis
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-halcyonflower.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Publishing Contest Votes: 2

Post by HalcyonFlower »

Always looking to read African literature! South Africa is a place of interest to me, given the leadership of Nelsen Mandela, so this sounds like quite an experience. The protagonist being a social worker seems like it would add depth to everything. Thanks for the lovely review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”