The end of your life book club

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bethflint
Bookshelf Size: 0

The end of your life book club

Post by bethflint »

I just finished reading, The end of your life book club, and did not like it. I was excited about this book because I knew it would talk about a lot of different books within, however, I found that it drug on too long. I didn't recognize many of the books they talked about. The book is about the author and his mother (who is diagnosed with pancreatic cancer). The two decide (unspoken at first) to create a book club; just the two of them. Throughout the book (his mother's chemo sessions), they take turns choosing books to read and then discussing them. Reading the book is almost like sitting in on the book club, they talk about books and their lives. I think if I would've known about the books or their subjects seemed to appeal to me, I would've enjoyed it more. However, I just couldn't get into it and couldn't wait until I was done reading.
sophiachic
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophiachic.html

Post by sophiachic »

I've not read the book. I'm wondering now if i should. It doesn't seem so. who knows
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

I haven't read this book but I find the premise of the book somewhat unbelieveable. A reading buddy of mine, a voracious reader, when she was going through chemo she simply could not concentrate on reading much less sustain a discussion on books. I know everybody is different and people have varying responses to chemo but it is one of the things many people who have undergone chemo mention, even if they are feeling physically ok they seem drained of the mental energy needed to sustain even a "small talk" conversation.
Nine months later my buddy is back reading again & devouring books in the old way.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
MyOwnStyle

Post by MyOwnStyle »

every life is a story. this is understandable that this is hard for us to go through it without experienced it ourselves. i always read a books as like it is another life of a person.
laureng
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laureng.html

Post by laureng »

Been wanting to read this one for awhile, though a relative had just passed away when I picked it up so I decided to let some time pass before I read it. Looking forward to seeing if I enjoy it.
jovanovi
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jovanovi.html

Post by jovanovi »

I actually enjoyed this book. The mother-son storyline was touching and I enjoyed their brief reviews of books and made note of about 1/2 dozen of them that I'd like to read based on what they thought. It was kind of cool to get some recommendations through a book like this - books I've never heard of and likely would not find on my own.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”