A Child Called It by David Pelzer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PluviophileReader
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluviophilereader.html
Latest Review: "Demiurge" by Michael Hagan

Re: A Child Called It by David Pelzer

Post by PluviophileReader »

m_buckner wrote:As horrified as I was at the level of inhumane treatment David received, I could not stop reading this entire series. I guess I kept hoping that someone would rescue David. I believe the most remarkable thing is that David was able to take all of the experiences he suffered through and turn it into a way to help others.
I felt the exact same way! I read the books when I was 19 and some of the graphic scenes that he had to deal with I've never forgotten.
The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Demiurge" by Michael Hagan
CloudedRune
Currently Reading: Paper Towns
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cloudedrune.html
Latest Review: "Why is the moon following us?" by María Escobedo Cubas

Post by CloudedRune »

I've been curious about this book for a while now, thank you for giving me the incentive to finally go out and get a copy to read! Very much looking forward to it.
Latest Review: "Why is the moon following us?" by María Escobedo Cubas
sahmoun2778
Favorite Author: Dana Stabenow
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahmoun2778.html
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
Reading Device: 1400698987
fav_author_id: 10781

Post by sahmoun2778 »

I read this book because I had heard so much about it. I found it very disturbing though.
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
riannaalexander
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by riannaalexander »

As sad and heartbreaking this book was to read, I just couldn't put it down! Thank the lord for a happy ending!
jguthri1
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jguthri1.html

Post by jguthri1 »

I read this several years ago. I was reluctant at first, but am so glad I did. As a teacher some of the scenes flash through my mind. I can only hope and pray that none of my students have to endure what Dave went through.
helenWall
Favorite Author: Jodi Picoult
Favorite Book: THE PACT
Currently Reading: SARAHS KEY
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helenwall.html
fav_author_id: 2678

Post by helenWall »

Unforgettable book
bluebutterfly2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebutterfly2.html

Post by bluebutterfly2 »

I have not read this particular book, but I have read the sequel. After reading the sequel, I could not bring myself to read the actual first book. The sequel gave a lot of details as to what happened in the first book. I agree with JenniferBoyce that it does sound incredible, but still...
wahmrf
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wahmrf.html

Post by wahmrf »

I'm sorry, but it was horrible. I hated it and I cried and I think mothers like that shouldn't exist. Fulkstop
mere81
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mere81.html

Post by mere81 »

I read this book while taking psychology in my second year of college And have read it several times since then. While reading I felt a lot of anger and sadness towards the things he endured as a child. It is a great story of how your past doesn't have to define who you become.
EmilyA1921
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by EmilyA1921 »

This book is proof that no matter what a person goes through in life, they can persevere. I've read the series about David's life and it broke my heart that no one came to his rescue when he needed it most. Children are vulnerable and to know someone like this gentleman sheds light on the horrors of child abuse is eye opening and heartbreaking. I read this book before I had my son and was horrified that anyone can put another human being through those tortures. Now as a mom, I constantly talk to him and let him know things, the world is a scary place and we really need to do everything we can to protect and love our children.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”