A Child Called It by David Pelzer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sugarbearmama
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: the regulators
Currently Reading: the mists of avalon
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sugarbearmama.html
fav_author_id: 2376

A Child Called It by David Pelzer

Post by sugarbearmama »

This was one of the first books I read and I can't even tell you how many times I have re read it. I found this book to be incredibly moving, suspenseful, sad, and happy; some of the more important qualities I love to find in a book. David Pelzer, aka "it" wrote a memoir of his childhood. The book starts out with David talking about how him and his family would go to the park for a picnic and just a great time playing, however this turns very quickly. His mother got pregnant with his younger brother, and turned into a woman full of anger, and I believe, repressed frustration.

In A child called it David is abused in the harshest of ways, not only does he do the house work, but is also subjected to the basement where its cold dark, and dank he only has a cot to sleep on with no pillow and no covers. I will not spoil the whole book here, but I will say that this book is the only one that made me cry uncontrollably, changed my view of parenthood, and made me say " oh my gosh" a million times. It is definitely a book I will never be able to put down once ive started reading it.

Thanks for your time.
m_buckner
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-buckner.html

Post by m_buckner »

As horrified as I was at the level of inhumane treatment David received, I could not stop reading this entire series. I guess I kept hoping that someone would rescue David. I believe the most remarkable thing is that David was able to take all of the experiences he suffered through and turn it into a way to help others.
sugarbearmama
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: the regulators
Currently Reading: the mists of avalon
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sugarbearmama.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by sugarbearmama »

I agree. He suffered through what is thought to be insurmountable abuse but through sheer willpower did he succeed in coming out not only alive but in my opinion on top.
KatieReads
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiereads.html

Post by KatieReads »

I have read this book numerous times and I can never put it down, even though I know what comes next. Such a depressing but amazing story. I have the other two books, but haven't read those as much as the first. I will have to continue it!
morganinga
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morganinga.html

Post by morganinga »

I read this book years ago, and can still recall minuet details and facts from it. This book horrified me, but in the best way possible. Reading the gruesome and absolutely atrocious things done to the author is very haunting. But at the same time it is impossible to put it down. It makes you realize the severity of child abuse, and it makes all the scary statistics you hear very real. This was one of the hardest books to read, for that reason alone, but I would read it again in a heartbeat. Even to this day, every time I see household cleaner I think of this book. It will break your heart into a million pieces, but it is so, so worth it.
zactak

Post by zactak »

I read this book while I was in high school. I stayed up late reading the entire book, I just couldn't put it down. It was depressing, but yet still so captivating and well-written. I read his second book in the series, which was still good, but not as great as the first. I think there was a third book in the series, but I couldn't get into that book for some reason.
amoffett323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amoffett323.html

Post by amoffett323 »

I loved this book! Couldn't put it down! It was a very emotional journey though and very challenging to read at points because of the graphic scenes. Its these scenes though that make the book and I wouldn't change a word!
librarynerd
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by librarynerd »

I read this book years ago and still remember it as if I read it yesterday. Rarely have I cried while reading a book. I heard about him later - he is now a motivational speaker. But there has also been some "talk" that the book is not completely factual. Which would be disappointing if he snookered millions of readers.
SydneyTarPonds
Favorite Book: Lewis Carrol
Currently Reading: My Chemical Mountain
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sydneytarponds.html

Post by SydneyTarPonds »

This was one of the saddest books I've ever read, even more sad to know it's a true story! I bought it at a used book sale because I'm really into those Lifetime Movie Network specials, this was far more dramatic than those. Probably one of the best true stories I've read.
Staci_lynne
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-staci-lynne.html

Post by Staci_lynne »

I have read this book multiple times, and I love it more each time. It is such a moving story and such an eye opener on the subject of abuse. It really shows that women can also be abusers, not only men. I think everyone should read this book.
petsitter113

Post by petsitter113 »

Fantastic book of pain, abuse, and one child's story of how he lived through it. As a mother, it was shocking to see how a woman could treat her child so badly. It is incomprehensible to me. However, I agree with Staci_lynne that it is an eye opener that women abuse as well as men. A definite must read.
Aussie-reader

Post by Aussie-reader »

I read this a few years ago - very powerful and moving.
nbarton
Favorite Author: rowling
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Expecting Miracles
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nbarton.html
fav_author_id: 2546

Post by nbarton »

I work in a high school library. This book, and the series, is the most checked out of any other book. I think even when students can't relate to a traumatically horrible home life, they are compelled to read the story of one who came out of it successfully.
Cali777

Post by Cali777 »

I think everyone I know has read this book. This is one of those rare books you read and months later you will still be thinking about it.
JenniferBoyce
Favorite Author: Jared Diamond
Favorite Book: The Name of the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenniferboyce.html
fav_author_id: 3301

Post by JenniferBoyce »

I have heard of this book from numerous people/sources and although it sounds like an incredible book, I have always been apprehensive about reading it. There is just something about the way everyone mentions how it made them cry uncontrollably that makes me incredibly nervous, considering I do the majority of my reading in public places. From this thread it seems that regardless of the tears everyone thinks that this book is definitely worth the read. Maybe I will muster up the courage and sit down to read this book.

Also, do you think that this should be "required reading" for all parents or soon-to-be parents?

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”