Official Review: Classics: Why we should encourage childr...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AlphaOmega
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Official Review: Classics: Why we should encourage child

Post by AlphaOmega »

There are also many lessons to be learned from reading a classic that are not found in contemporary writing.
lovebooks10
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovebooks10.html
Latest Review: "Shades" by Rose Jones

Post by lovebooks10 »

I think schools should still have kids read classic books. I probably never would have read some myself if I hadn't done so in school...and I enjoyed them!
Latest Review: "Shades" by Rose Jones
vickie kern

Post by vickie kern »

My name is Vickie and I'm a new member. I am not an author or publisher, I just love to read books. I would just like to comment on the topic about why we should encourage children to read books. I tell children to read everything they can because reading is the window to the world. Reading takes you to places you can't get to by yourself. The knowledge you gain from reading is priceless. So please READ!
Hearty Guy
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hearty-guy.html

Post by Hearty Guy »

I agree with the author and the reviewer that children do need to be introduced to the classics. It would be awesome (to use an overused cliché) if the classics were introduced at home first. I also agree with post number fifteen by Reader B who would like the school reading list to be rounded out with a "nice mix of current books as well as classics."Parents can start the reading habit by subscribing To National Geographic's Kids and Little Kids as well as the ones called Ranger Rick too because little children love animals!
vickie kern

Post by vickie kern »

I think it's really a good idea to try to get children to read classics. These stories will be remembered for a lifetime and give them fond memories. On the other side of my opinion I think that children should also be enticed to read anything that interest them as long as they are reading something. Often it can be hard trying to get children to read if it's not something that gets their attention. Once you accomplish this and they start enjoying their favorite topics you can go on to other things like classics.
michelev
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelev.html

Post by michelev »

I "forced" my 13-year-old daughter to read "Diary of A Young Girl," by Anne Frank, and "Johnny Tremaine" over last summer (she was 12) because she needs to learn the life lessons taught in them (if you don't know what they are, you should read them), and she should know what good writing, story structure and plot/character development look like. Reading not only entertains, but teaches and enlightens, as well. I'm fairly sure the "Twilight" series, or others like it, does none of that.
dina77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dina77.html

Post by dina77 »

I would be interested in reading this book after reading the review given. I read classics on my own and at school and I was bored at school because the class was designed to teach everyone and half the class had no obvious interest in learning and it was a torturous experience... perhaps this was the teacher rather then the book itself as I have read it since and loved it..... I think that social media has a huge influence on what children read after all the latest books to be made into movies have been the twilight saga and the hunger games so how can children help but be steered into these genres?
Becca-Anne

Post by Becca-Anne »

I think that it's good for kids to read classics, but not only classics. Children should have a good balance of books that are of all different time periods as well as a widespread variety of genres.
Children should read a wide variety until they really establish and conclude what type of books they enjoy most, etc. Let children find their own voice when it comes to books and don't force them to read certain styles. Encourage them. Bribe them. But never force them.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”