Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Non-Fiction Books

Free/Discount Book of the Day! ( + Amazon Gift Card Giveaway! )

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books; They are incredible temporary deals on well-rated books! This also includes free entry into daily free raffles for free Amazon Gift Cards! Sign up so you do not miss the opportunity to build up your library with premium books for free AND get free daily chances to win free Amazon gift cards.

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Dear Thailand: A Love Story

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.

Official Review: Dear Thailand: A Love Story

Post Number:#1 by Dphaber
» 01 Aug 2013, 03:42

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dear Thailand: A Love Story" by Diane de Simone.]

Dear Thailand: A Love Story is the story of author Diane de Simone’s transformative self-journey in Thailand. It covers her original visit of one month, return to the United States, and the almost immediate decision to leave her old life behind and move to Thailand. It takes the reader through the powerful spiritual and personal growth which Simone experiences there, and in doing so gives quite a bit of insight into both Thai culture and Buddhism.

The book begins as a story of personal change, with a telling of a daughter’s reconnecting with her aging father on foreign soil. Freeing him from the retirement home where he’s been slowly fading, the two cut their ties with their old life and move to a small village in Thailand.

But the story soon changes and, true to its name, shows the story of the author’s love for a culture and a people far removed from those to which Simone had become accustomed to. It joins her as she explores cultural identities, questions fundamental ideas of her Western upbringing, and finds dear friends to help her navigate the storm of confusion and fears encountered on the journey.

What is perhaps most striking about Dear Thailand is the writing itself. Crafted in an initially somewhat jarring style, Simone vividly describes her adoptive home in a way that is almost poetic. Read in a peaceful place and receptive state of mind, the passages (patterned as letter addressed to- well, I’ll let you work that one out on your own) seem almost to sing. Secondhand, but with little value lost along the way, you experience the culture, religion, and way of life in a small and tight-knit Thai village. It’s refreshing and beautiful, and it left me wanting to jump on a plane and see it - experience it - for myself.

The book does, toward the end, begin to feel a little preachy. Though these passages are light-handed, I can see how some Westerners may be turned off somewhat. I would, however, recommend this book to anyone in need of a spiritual vacation. This story of a visit, an escape, and ultimately a homecoming asks the reader only to listen as it tells of peace, stillness, and a light, kind heart. I give this book 4 stars out of 4.

Buy "Dear Thailand: A Love Story" on Amazon
Dphaber's Latest Review: "The Icarus Prediction" by RD Gupta
Dphaber

Bookshelf Size: 12 books

View Reviewer Page
2016 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Dear Thailand: A Love Story

Post Number:#2 by dianejai
» 13 Sep 2013, 21:45

Ola...Dphaber..thank you...lovely to read about it through your eyes!
dianejai

Currently Reading: heartwood of the bodhi tree
Bookshelf Size: 3 books

Post Number:#3 by slplair68
» 16 Oct 2013, 13:54

Great review! This story sounds very thought provoking and it sounds like the author has given the readers a complete landscape of the story. I will be reading this book soon! Thanks for a wonderful review.
slplair68

Bookshelf Size: 0 books

Post Number:#4 by npandit
» 01 Apr 2014, 09:22

Wow, this sounds like an interesting book! :)
npandit's Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen
npandit

Bookshelf Size: 19 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#5 by KLyons1
» 03 Apr 2014, 21:56

I enjoyed my one visit to Thailand; sounds like this book will bring back some good memories!
KLyons1

Favorite Author: Many
Favorite Book: See Favorite Author
Bookshelf Size: 2 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#6 by purplepeepleeater
» 15 May 2016, 08:48

Sounds like a great book!!
purplepeepleeater

Currently Reading:

Post Number:#7 by gali
» 15 May 2016, 08:48

BOTD!!! Sounds like a an enchanting story with a lot of insight into both Thai culture and Buddhism. Seems like the author had quite a journey. Got my copy. 8)

Thank you and congratulations to the author on the great review! :tiphat:
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gali
Site Admin

Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: The Rook
Bookshelf Size: 1535 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2016 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 85%

Post Number:#8 by Leese
» 15 May 2016, 08:52

Just came across this as today's BOTD and after reading your review, it sounds like a book I'm really, really going to enjoy. I'm fascinated by different cultures and seeing how people across the world live, so it sounds like it's going to be right up my alley!
Leese's Latest Review: "Danbury" by Rob Mundt
Leese

Currently Reading: The Hype
Bookshelf Size: 46 books
Reading Device: Nook Simple
2016 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 36%

Post Number:#9 by Sarah G
» 15 May 2016, 08:53

What a great subject for a book! Will have to have a look into this:). Great review @Dphaber
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
Sarah G

Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73 books

View Reviewer Page
2016 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 34%

Post Number:#10 by shelley_soetosenojo
» 15 May 2016, 09:03

A spiritual vacation is definitely what I need right now. Will read the book right away! Thank you for a clear review!
shelley_soetosenojo's Latest Review: "Love Built to Last" by Lisa Ricard Claro
shelley_soetosenojo

Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#11 by dina s
» 15 May 2016, 09:33

Shelley, I also need a spiritual vacation and this sounds like it is the book to read.
dina s

Currently Reading: Bending Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16 books
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet

Post Number:#12 by bluemel4
» 15 May 2016, 09:38

Beautifully written review. I like that the author was able to find a creative way to share their passion for Thai culture and Buddhism. The story sounds inspirational and educational. I don't think I would be brave enough to pick up everything and move somewhere that was so jarring and culturally shocking. Congratulations to the author on the great review!
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
bluemel4's Latest Review: "In All Things" by Marta Curti
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month

Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: Orphan Train
Bookshelf Size: 175 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite

Post Number:#13 by bookowlie
» 15 May 2016, 09:43

Great review! You really brought out the little things that made the book special. I like these types of books, where I can learn about the culture of a place I know very little about.
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. - Dr. Seuss
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader

Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 187 books

View Reviewer Page
2016 Reading Goal: 52 Books
Goal Completion: 121%

Post Number:#14 by jungkookblog
» 15 May 2016, 10:34

Fantastic review! I love books where the person comes to a new country, and they have to get used to it. Plus, I get to know more about that culture. Got my copy already :D
jungkookblog

Currently Reading: All The Dark We Will Not See

Post Number:#15 by StainedGlassTiger3
» 15 May 2016, 11:50

The way you described the narrative style has me intrigued. (It's almost like you were writing a book of your own.) Passages that "seem to sing..." Sounds lovely!
StainedGlassTiger3

Bookshelf Size: 0 books

Next