Last Good Non Fiction Book You've Read?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
suzy1124
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Last Good Non Fiction Book You've Read?

Post by suzy1124 »

Matisse Portraits, John Klein...
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
booklvr62
Favorite Author: Richard Preston many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Dandelion Wine</a>
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by booklvr62 »

Full-Rip 9.0: The Next Big Earthquake in the Pacific Northwest by Sandi Doughton.Scientists have identified Seattle, Portland, and Vancouver as the urban centers of what will be the biggest earthquake, also called a mega-quake, in the continental United States.Was an AWESOME read! :shock:
designerrosa
Favorite Author: Michael LeBoeuf
Favorite Book: Memoirs of a Geisha
Currently Reading: The Richest Man in Babylon by G. Classon
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-designerrosa.html

Post by designerrosa »

I really liked How to win customers and keep them for life by M LeBoeuf. Also Fasting can change your life.
lincolnp

Post by lincolnp »

Just finished Galileo's Daughter by Dava Sobel. I thought it was very good - it is a biography that taps into the many letters written to Galileo by his daughter, which were saved. Unfortunately all of his letters to her were destroyed. She was a nun living in a convent and unfortunately he and his writings were banned by the Catholic Church so his letters were destroyed at the time of her death. There were of course many of his writings that survived to flesh out the picture that Ms. Sobel presents.
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

Michael Savage, " Train Tracks "............family Holiday stories, growing up in N.Y.

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
Jane_munyao

Post by Jane_munyao »

Americanah ny Chimamanda Ngozi Indichie.

The story of a young African lady who comes to college in the US. I loved her funny, easy prose and the liveliness of her characters. Her interactions with various people in different situations all contribute something to shaping her views and outlook in life. I find myself being glad that she is successful and independent - an African girls dream!

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and would recommend it to anyone interested in the enthralling array of immigrant experiences.
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

Dictionary of Gems and Gemology............Robt. Shipley...

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
Revital
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revital.html
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by Revital »

Neil Patrick Harris: Choose Your Own Autobiography by Neil Patrick Harris.
This is must be the best biography I have ever read!
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

Arthur Miller: His Life and Work, Morton Gottfried...

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Post by Himmelslicht »

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Stalking by Susan Cain.

It was interesting but at the same time I wish that the data she used was more global. Too American-centered.
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Himmelslicht wrote:Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Stalking by Susan Cain.

It was interesting but at the same time I wish that the data she used was more global. Too American-centered.
This actually sounds like something I would enjoy (except I assume you meant "Talking" instead of "Stalking"?? :mrgreen: ). I am obsessed with introversion.

Unfortunately, the American-centric thing happens way to often in America. Too many people there don't understand that there is more to the world than what exists outside of their own little box. :roll:
Pemmycats8
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pemmycats8.html

Post by Pemmycats8 »

Killing Patton by Bill O'Reilly
Really a riveting book. I don't always agree with everything he says but I respect his well reasoned arguments and his amazing research. I stormed through this book in two days - couldn't put it down. Full of so many interesting details.
kitkatreader

Post by kitkatreader »

I haven't finished it yet, but I'm in the middle of reading Night by Elie Wiesel. It is so powerful; the amount of description and emotion that he can pack into one very small novel is incredible. I recommend this book to anyone who wants to know what really happened during the holocaust.
Pemmycats8
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pemmycats8.html

Post by Pemmycats8 »

I agree - Night is a life-changing book. His language is so raw and powerful. You know Wiesel forced himself to wait for several years before writing about his experiences in order to give some distance. I think this did allow him to write about what happened but it is a difficult journey to read about. His emotions come across as burned flesh - so exposed and vulnerable. I'll be anxious to hear your thoughts on the book when you finish!
Cstansell2199
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cstansell2199.html

Post by Cstansell2199 »

Pemmycats8 wrote:Killing Patton by Bill O'Reilly
Really a riveting book. I don't always agree with everything he says but I respect his well reasoned arguments and his amazing research. I stormed through this book in two days - couldn't put it down. Full of so many interesting details.
This one is on my list! I own the previous three books in the "Killing" series and they've all been great reads.

Currently I'm in the middle of Dreamers and Deceivers by Glenn Beck. It gives a great look at some of the best known people of the past.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”