Last Good Non Fiction Book You've Read?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cinsan58
Bookshelf Size: 1

Re: Last Good Non Fiction Book You've Read?

Post by cinsan58 »

Heretic by Ayan Hirsi Ali.

The author is a Somali native who was raised in a fundamentalist Muslim home where FGM and arranged marriages were common. She fled her homeland and moved to Europe to escape a such a marriage and was astonished by a view of the west very unlike what she had been led to believe. Hirsi Ali eventually embraced her new culture and paints a disturbing portrait of the culture she escaped. Her courage in speaking out about the abuse of women under radical Islam----which is highlighted extensively in this book---has earned her death threats.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

John Adams by David McCullough
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Zoe303
Favorite Book: And Then There Were None
Currently Reading: Around the World in Eighty Days
Bookshelf Size: 240

Post by Zoe303 »

Twelve Years A Slave by Solomon Northup. Absolutely fantastic!
“Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.” –P.J. O’Rourke
Elizabeth2015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth2015.html

Post by Elizabeth2015 »

I just finished Our Kids: The American Dream in Crisis, by Robert D. Putnam. I will be doing a review on it as soon as possible.
MelissaPage09
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissapage09.html

Post by MelissaPage09 »

I enjoyed The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch

I laughed, I smiled, I cried, and I felt heartache. This book was worth the read and had an outlook of someone who accomplished so much but was still so ordinary that it was such a pleasure to read. I bragged about this book to people and would recommend it to anyone.

Note: You will cry!!
Britnie
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britnie.html

Post by Britnie »

I'm currently reading "Still Here" by Ram Dass that is a beautifully written book on dealing with aging and death. It's wonderful as Ram Dass had experienced a stroke while writing the book, which lead to an enlightening experience that shaped the ending. I love the aspects of spirituality and growth that Ram Dass brings to a subject most of us consider negative.
notjustanotherwilson
Currently Reading: Dear Thailand
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by notjustanotherwilson »

lmahartz wrote:Mrs. Kennedy and Me by Clint Hill with Lisa McCubbin. A unique insight into the life of the First Lady Mrs. Kennedy and the children from one of the Secret Service Agents that protected her during the years leading up to and during the assasination of President Kennedy.

I would definitely have to agree you on this review! I have read quite a few Kennedy books and this one was definitely one of my favorites. The way the story was told from the Secret Service Agent's perspective, here was a man who had trained to put his life on the line for the President, and suddenly he was put into what he was calling it "Diaper Duty" Oops! Maybe I should've said Spoiler on that one. Anyways, this book is a fantastic read for anyone who wants a different perspective on the Kennedy family free from the political drama. It really gets down into the family's interpersonal relationships at a personal level. Five stars all the way!!
shellyd14
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shellyd14.html

Post by shellyd14 »

I have just reread the Helen Forrester 4 book series which is the extraordinary and poignant true story of her childhood. The first book in the series is Twopence to Cross the Mersey. Read it! And if you love it as i did, then there are three more to get lost in. Amazing books.
fabulasaule
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulasaule.html

Post by fabulasaule »

It was 'The World of the Polar Bear' by Richard Perry. It was a simple but very informative book about polar bears. I enjoyed it even though I am not a fan of books about animals.
SABernier12
Currently Reading: The Stand
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabernier12.html

Post by SABernier12 »

Wild by Cheryl Strayed. Amazing book about hiking and rediscovering yourself after a tragedy.
vigabo
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vigabo.html

Post by vigabo »

stotle71 wrote:I enjoyed Charles Koch's The Science of Success as well as Government Bullies by Rand Paul.

I'm reading a myriad of books on the topic of rape because I'm working on a research paper on the topic. However, I can't really say that I'm "enjoying" the books--though some of them are brilliantly researched and written. One of the more interesting books (published in 1996) was The Trouble with Blame by Sharon Lamb.
That's a really tough subject to "enjoy". Reading about rape or any kind of sexual abuse is never pleasant but bear in mind, that if it's a memoir, it's even harder to write. I know because the first book I wrote is a memoir and I told no-one about the sexual abuse until I was 65! Good luck. :?
EMPIRE88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-empire88.html

Post by EMPIRE88 »

I thoroughly enjoyed The Definitive Book of Body Language by Allan and Barbara Pease, a very practical book that teaches you skills you can use everyday.
Starz4598

Post by Starz4598 »

shinjiblue wrote:Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand and In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks was good too, though I found it to be less entertaining than the others.
I loved Henrietta Lacks and In Cold Blood. I'll have to try Unbroken, too!
Divya Tamilselvan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-divya-t.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer
Reading Device: B086KCQX95

Post by Divya Tamilselvan »

Think and grow rich by Napoleon Hill is the last good non-fiction book I have read. It's a great book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”