Book Review: TRUST ME, I'M LYING by Ryan Holiday

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kandisnl
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandisnl.html

Book Review: TRUST ME, I'M LYING by Ryan Holiday

Post by Kandisnl »

Trust Me, I'm Lying by Ryan Holiday is one of the best books that I have read in the new "if you have problems with mainstream media" genre we're seeing so much of these days in books and online. "Media manipulator" Ryan Holiday, Director of Marketing for American Apparel- writes about what it was like for him creating fake news, and using the mainstream media to blow small stories out of proportion to gain publicity for his clients.
The book features some history about the mainstream media, and how it has been manipulated in the past, which is quite interesting and really sets the tone for the value of this book. Most interesting are Holiday's chapters about why the media today is so easy to manipulate (i.e. the idea that they have to come up with new stories all the time in our fast paced, "pay per click", page view obsessed world) and also the chapters where he outlines some of his own manipulations.
The book can be taken as either a warning that you will get bitten by the hand that feeds you (and should be cautious of trying to manipulate the media yourself) or a how-to guide to get yourself some free publicity (although, as Holiday points out, nothing is really 'free' these days!). Holiday's writing style is brutally honest, and a little self aggrandizing- you can tell that he feels bad about some of the things he's done in the name of publicity. I rate this book 3 and a half out of 4 stars.
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

Seems really interesting

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
freedomtosucceed
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freedomtosucceed.html

Post by freedomtosucceed »

I've considered picking this book up in the past, as it sounds very interesting. Thanks for your review, It's definitely a book I'll put on my list to check out.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

This sounds like a book that we could all benefit from reading. I learned a little about the subject matter in my Social Psychology class, but of course we didn't get too in-depth. All of us need to remember that news outlets, just like sitcoms and reality shows, need ratings and will go to great lengths to get them. I am definitely adding this one to my reading list!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”