True Crime

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
annbetty

True Crime

Post by annbetty »

Hi. Can anyone recommend any good true crime books?
GKCfan
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkcfan.html
Latest Review: The Silent Shadow by Pat S. Clarke

Post by GKCfan »

The Devil in the White City, by Erik Larson
In Cold Blood, by Truman Capote
The Monster of Florence, by Douglas Preston
Mune
Currently Reading: Revival
Bookshelf Size: 963
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mune.html
Latest Review: "The Silent Shadow" by Patrick Clarke
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Mune »

I have a plethora of these. Really, it depends on the type of crime you are interested in. Ann Rule has many, many books out on true crime cases, but she does have a tendency to drift off into unnecessary details about the history of some of the subjects when you really just want to move on to the crime issue. John Douglas is an awesome writer. He was one of the first Behavioral Scientists for the FBI and has several good books out about some of the cases he has been involved with, as well as some that are well known. I have degrees in Criminal Investigations and Forensic Psychology, so one whole floor to ceiling shelf in my house is all true crime and crime analysis. If you can let me know what type of crimes you are interested in I can give you suggestions.
Latest Review: "The Silent Shadow" by Patrick Clarke
Steve32a
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Steve32a »

Hi my first post so here goes......i recently read a book called Moody by wensley clarkson it is about a man by the name of jimmy moody he was a very well known armed robber in the 60's and 70's with a brutal reputation he was also a hitman he escaped from brixton prison with two other men but he was never recaptured,he died after being shot dead in a london pub in 1993.I dont often read this genre as i dont like the way violence is being glamourised or potrayed as cool ect but this story is well worth telling because it is told by his wife,son,brother and many of his associates....he was anything but a plastic gangster...it is really a story of loneliness and the relationship with his son as much as anything.......it's only a short read around 250 or so pages but i highly recommend it...
Dani226
Favorite Author: Dean Koontz
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dani226.html
fav_author_id: 2595

Post by Dani226 »

I also recommend Ann Rule and John Douglas. Also, Helter Skelter (Manson Murders) by Vincent Bugliosi was very good.
Laurencbosch
Currently Reading: Brisingr
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurencbosch.html
Latest Review: "Fleeing Eden" by Trisha M. Wilson

Post by Laurencbosch »

I have read In Cold Blood by Truman Capote and it was incredible. He makes you feel for the murderers and the victims at the same time. I had some very conflicting emotions after reading it and I have a new perspective on crimes and the people who commit them.
I have also read Manson in His Own Words by Charles Manson and this story also changes the whole perspective of the criminal. Manson describes his troubling life from childhood and relays his reality of what happened during that time. It was a gripping story that completely changed my understanding of his crimes.
Latest Review: "Fleeing Eden" by Trisha M. Wilson
Mike_Lang
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 50592">The Life and Times of The Thunderbolt Kid</a>
Currently Reading: Mississippi Noir
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mike-lang.html
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Mike_Lang »

I enjoyed The Blooding by Joseph Wambaugh. It details the first criminal case ever to use DNA to identify a killer. Very well written, at times it reads like a great fiction novel.
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
socialamoeba
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-socialamoeba.html

Post by socialamoeba »

One of my favorites would have to Columbine by Dave Cullen. I also liked Lost Girls: An Unsolved American Mystery by Robert Kolker, The Monster of Florence by Douglas Preston and Psycho USA: Famous American Killers You Never Heard Of by Harold Schechter.
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

I've never read In Cold Blood, but my mom is a huge true crime fan and she raves about it! I really enjoyed Devil's Knot: The True Story of the West Memphis Three by Mara Leveritt and Zodiac by Robert Graysmith. The most recent I've read is The Most Dangerous Animal of All: Looking for My Father...and Finding the Zodiac Killer by Gary L. Stewart. After reading the Zodiac it was very compelling! So many clues that easily seem to solve all the puzzles and riddles of the Zodiac. And it was very interesting reading about the life of the supposed killer, I always find that side of true crime fascinating.
floressa-21
Currently Reading: Sigfried&rsquo;s Smelly Socks!
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by floressa-21 »

I really love to read books specially the mystery thriller which we can read crimes there. I don't have any plan to be a detective that's why I read crime story. It's just that, I'm a fun of reading it. I read many crimes stories one of those is, the class 3-c has a secret. it is a very good story and we can get a lot of knowledge in that book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”