Ex-Rich Girl Tells All by Kami Corban

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MrEmDash
Favorite Author: Too many
Favorite Book: Winters Bone or The Road
Currently Reading: The Game of Thrones and Wizard Science
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mremdash.html
Latest Review: "Pearls and Heels" by Kareen Cole

Ex-Rich Girl Tells All by Kami Corban

Post by MrEmDash »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ex-Rich Girl Tells All - My Truth Behind Closed Doors" by Kami Corban.]
Book Cover for 9781624880230
Share This Review

Firstly, before I go into the review, I would just like to express my thanks to the author for writing such a book. Although it seems distanced, the book itself is revealing and incredibly emotion. This is a very mature book, so I recommend that very few people under the age of 18 read this. This book is a memoir about Kami Corban. She grew up in a very privledged family that had whatever they wanted. She was essentially a princess. The memoir then jumps to her at Duke University. She gets a letter about her dog gone missing. In the margins was a note from her mother; "P.S. Your father left home too. He filed for divorce." Her mother says she's going to be too busy suing her father to come to her graduation. So she decides to go to London to join her boyfriend, Tucker.

When she arrives, Tucker is not there. He says he's living with "Jill". Kami is stunned, blown away, and incredibly distressed. She leaves London in a daze and eventually finds herself at Shanklin, a seaside resort. There she starts to learn about what life is really like outside the comfort of her privileged home. She gets fired quickly after many complaints about her from the other employees. When she leaves, she meets some very interesting people like Chitsaka, a Rhodesian immigrant. After leaving for so long, Kami decides to return home after talking to her mother, stepping into the battle between her mother and father.

Kami loves both of them, and it's hard for her to side with a person. Her dad was a successful doctor, and her mother is a successful real estate agent. Financially, they are both relatively stable. However, because of Kami's mindset after Tucker broke up with her, and of other things, her father believes that she is crazy and sends her to therapy. She stays there for years, talking about her suspicions of both her parents being gay, and just things she cannot comprehend. Throughout this entire time, she is being crushed by both parents, her mother who does not seem to love her and constantly complains and pushes her. And her father, who has become financially in trouble, which has made him very cheap and turn against his own daughter. There were many horrors that I was not able to put into here, and has only scratched the surface of what happened throughout the book. I apologize that I was not able to really show what this book is about, but there is a reason for that which I will now explain.

The main problem of this book, for me, was the composition of it. The events go so quick, and skip and jump so fast that it becomes extremely confusing. I often forgot what just happened, or why are we at this part in the book. Because there were so many events that were compressed into a mere 257 pages, they were often short and confusing. It also was confusing the way the author wrote it, as if she were slightly insane. This can be easily debunked by reading the afterword. I'm suspecting the author intended it to be written like it, and I can see how this helps, but it does make for a very confusing book (at times).

Although confusing to read, the book itself is extremely riveting. I could not stop reading because of disbelief and almost horror of reading this book. I was shocked that someone could go through such trials and endure it. It truly is a powerful memoir about forgiveness and overcoming trials and tribulations. It may be on par to the tragedies suffered by Dave Pelzer in his series of child abuse. It truly is horrifying, but riveting at the same time. I'd give it 3 out of 4 stars for the only reason of being confusing and sporadic. Perhaps I am a bit narrow-minded and not as understanding of it as some of you may be, but that's just me. However, I'd highly recommend it as a riveting and amazing memoir.

Buy "Ex-Rich Girl Tells All - My Truth Behind Closed Doors" on Amazon
Buy "Ex-Rich Girl Tells All - My Truth Behind Closed Doors" on Barnes and Noble
sahmoun2778
Favorite Author: Dana Stabenow
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahmoun2778.html
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
Reading Device: 1400698987
fav_author_id: 10781

Post by sahmoun2778 »

Good review MrEmDash. I sounds like an interesting story.
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
MrEmDash
Favorite Author: Too many
Favorite Book: Winters Bone or The Road
Currently Reading: The Game of Thrones and Wizard Science
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mremdash.html

Post by MrEmDash »

sahmoun2778 wrote:Good review MrEmDash. I sounds like an interesting story.
Thanks! I appreciate it.
npandit
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-npandit.html
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen

Post by npandit »

Great review! Wow, sounds like a chilling story!
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen
Reetikal
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reetikal.html

Post by Reetikal »

Great Review - want to read it I really love such books.. thanks
LINA M-EMBER AMA
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lina-m-ember-ama.html
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan

Post by LINA M-EMBER AMA »

The rich also cry has come again. The book mirrors reality. Wealth does not insulate us from certain calamities. The battleground of life beckons on us all. It is a great review.
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan
KeriCraven
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kericraven.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by KeriCraven »

Great review. Sounds like an interesting read. Thank you for your review.
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

Thanks for the nice review. Truly, life isn't a bed of roses for anyone, including the rich... We all struggle with one situation or the other.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I feel Cami's pain. This goes to show that no matter how good one 's life may be, it could all come crumbling down.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Al Chakauya »

A story full of emotion. A splendid review.
vaz222
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vaz222.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by vaz222 »

Another book I want! Thanks for the honest review!
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

There are only two things which are permanent in this world. "Change and Death." Life change either for the better or for the worse. But what most important, don't give up when the going gets tough. Nice review! Thank you.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
GathuaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathuam.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by GathuaM »

Great review. Will add it to my list and read it as it sounds intriguing how life truly can change in a split second
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Very enlightening review. He who forgives gains many benefits.
adeleye_mariam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by adeleye_mariam »

Good review sir...I just feel like to get a hold on the book and read thoroughly... Nevertheless, your review was quite understandable... Truly life is not always a bed of rose and the rich also cry, face challenges and trails according to the book

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”