Flirting in Spanish by Susan McKinney de Ortega

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Carabosse
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carabosse.html
Latest Review: "Seven Years (Tales from the Backwoods, Story 1)" by Backwoods

Flirting in Spanish by Susan McKinney de Ortega

Post by Carabosse »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Flirting in Spanish" by Susan McKinney de Ortega.]
Book Cover for 9780982859193
Share This Review

The daughter of a prominent NBA coach, Susan McKinney is used to life in Philadelphia, U.S.A, and accustomed to seeing her father’s name in the newspapers on a weekly basis. Having worked as a news reporter, she is used to working in a job in which she is not entirely happy. She is used to living a life in which she is not entirely happy. She is also used to hiding a big secret.

At 33, she is uncertain which path to take in her life, and travels to Mexico, to begin teaching English. Whilst teaching, she meets many different people. Chief among them is Carlos; an earnest, warm-hearted young man, who shows her a way of life she never imagined.

San Miguel is hot and many of the residences are over-crowded. Susan soon realizes that things such as hot showers and refrigeration are luxuries in this part of the world. Mexico, however, has many luxuries of its own: it is a country that is teeming with life, where deep spiritual ceremonies are part of the norm; where large groupings and family get-togethers prove to be as rewarding as they are sometimes difficult.

Susan McKinney de Ortega is very candid when she takes you on her journey throughout Mexico and lessons about life that she learns along the way. Lessons such as love is where you least expect to find it.

Although the title seems light, it is not a work of fiction. Instead, “Flirting in Spanish” is a uniquely courageous autobiography. It is as enjoyable learning about the different cultural practices in Mexico, as it is a story about crossing cultural, class and age barriers. It is rich in descriptive detail, and vivid characters. Through her writing, McKinney de Ortega transports the reader on a truly heartwarming and entertaining journey. A thoroughly informative and unconventional read.

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars.

Buy "Flirting in Spanish" on Amazon
Buy "Flirting in Spanish" on Barnes and Noble
Latest Review: "Seven Years (Tales from the Backwoods, Story 1)" by Backwoods
jray321
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jray321.html

Post by jray321 »

"Flirting in Spanish" sounds like an interesting read. I am normally not one for autobiographies, however I might make an exception for this book as I've always found interest in Hispanic cultures. After studying Spanish in high school under an instructor who was passionate about not only teaching the language, but the culture as well, I find myself desiring more exposure to both the language and the culture. This books sounds like it would be an excellent choice to wet my appetite. This title will definitely be added to my book list!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”