Official Review: Learn English the Ice Cream Way

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Official Review: Learn English the Ice Cream Way

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Learn English the Ice Cream Way" by Shalom Kumar Sigworth.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

From an editorial manager with a long history in the publishing industry comes this unique, interesting approach to tackling the problems many young people, teachers, and world leaders of today struggle with when it comes to grasping the English language as a whole. Shalom Kumar Sigworth is the founder of Anglosphere Education Networks, a company seeking to educate the general public with "English and personal excellence courses". He wrote this book because he saw a need for less dull English-learning material.

Think of a child relishing a delicious, mouth-watering flavor of ice cream, a bowl full of ice cream perhaps; then, envision yourself as this child. Now think of this book as the ice you're eating. Doesn't this book sound delicious? Don't you want to sit down, right now, with this book, and start learning English right away? If you do, becalm yourself--this happened to me as well--the author of this book has already halfway succeeded in his main reason for writing this book: to make English and grammar learning "easy, enjoyable and, most of all, memorable".

This is not your usual classroom textbook. Filled with eye-catchy illustrations, spider diagrams, ice cream icons and "licks", this book is an effortlessly comprehensible, simplified beginner's guide to the rules of English communication, crafty sentence building, and punctuation. Divided into four parts (Background, Methods, Grammar, and English Communication), the student or any relevant individual, can reference any section of this book not just after reading it, but even before doing so. "You can read this book in several ways".

The author writes and gives examples, illustrations,
and quotes from influential people both alive and long a part of this world's history to help motivate and inspire readers to achieve great things. In this book you can find all you need to know about the origin of English (which, surprisingly, did not originate from the country many people think it did), potential career fields that await you if you learn to communicate in English effectively, adverbs and adjectives, the three tenses and how to correctly write in them, the correct use of semicolons and dashes, and so much more.

There were a few surprises that waited for me in this book, the true origin of English being one. Another being a certain rule about semicolons I never knew, or forgot. There are more than a few things I will take with me long after I store this book away into my personal library. The first is Shalom's magic formula to "Learning English the Ice Cream Way," Sorry, but you'll have to read this book if you want to know what the magic formula is. The second, and certainly not the last, is an easy-to-recite poem that explains the "nine parts of speech" which I intend to print out someday, laminate it, and stick it on my fridge's door. My guess is many readers will do the same.

Aside from all I've mentioned above, I dare not say this is a great English-learning guide. I'll recommend this book only for English-language novices, perhaps for parents with children who struggle at English. Having said this, I'm giving this book an amazing 4 out of 4 simply because Shalom stuck to his main purpose of writing this book: English-learning simplicity.

Learn English the Ice Cream Way
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cheslynne Baxter's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
BookWorm07
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm07.html
Latest Review: "The Voice of Thunder" by Raina Kadavil

Post by BookWorm07 »

Great review Cheslynne. Here in India, I've never had grammar properly taught at school. Thanks to the internet and my own reading habits, I'm not terrible at it. So I might just get this book for myself. Sounds like a fun read too. ;)
"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic" - J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "The Voice of Thunder" by Raina Kadavil
debo9967
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debo9967.html
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover

Post by debo9967 »

This book seems really interesting and different. Your review is really enjoyable.
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover
Kappy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Essene Gospel of Peace
Currently Reading: McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container
Bookshelf Size: 762
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kappy.html
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Kappy »

Excellent review. I've read many of Rudolf Flesch's books about English; they were outstanding. My personal "magic formula" is to read, read, read!
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! The "nine parts of speech" poem is intriguing. I want to get the book just to read the poem! The cover art and unique title is sure to attract readers.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

This is a really good review, and the book sounds fascinating.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

My husband teaches English as a second language. Is this book for children or adults?
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
Cee-Jay Aurinko

Thanks bookowlie, the poem was one of the best parts of the book for me.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Nathrad Sheare
Favorite Author: Hawthorne and Poe
Favorite Book: The Scarlet Letter
Currently Reading: Too much
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathrad-sheare.html
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

Awesome review, Leon! How long have you been writing? The fluidity and eloquence of your sentences makes me suspect that you're rather seasoned in the way of the language artist. 8-)
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely
Cee-Jay Aurinko

@Nathrad Sheare

Wow, what a compliment! I don't know if I'm that good of a writer, but playing with words is what I do every day. And I still have a lot to learn.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”