Tropic of Cancer - Henry Miller : anyone read it or reading?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
michael26
Bookshelf Size: 0

Tropic of Cancer - Henry Miller : anyone read it or reading?

Post by michael26 »

I started this classic a few days ago and I think it's very unlike any other book I've read before. Anyone else out there read it?
Cal Trask

Post by Cal Trask »

Its on my list Michael. What do you think of it? So far is it deserving of its 'classic' status?
apeman

Post by apeman »

I read it about 50 years ago as a young man. I found it exhilarating and immediately grabbed anything I could by Henry Miller. He's an extraordinary writer who engages the reader from the off. He's funny, irreverent and obscene without giving offence. I like his honesty, but whether he's a 'classic' I don't know and he would probably spurn that term anyway.
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

apeman wrote:.....I like his honesty, but whether he's a 'classic' I don't know and he would probably spurn that term anyway.
I agree, Apeman, he was a very down-to-earth writer.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
ThrivingDad

Post by ThrivingDad »

I read it in college when I was supposed to be studying for a physics exam. This is one of the most intense novels that I've ever read.
Tralala
Favorite Author: Hubert Selby Jr.
Favorite Book: Retro Hell
fav_author_id: 2789

Post by Tralala »

Okay, I've gotta read this one now...
How perfectly goddamned delightful it all is, to be sure.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

It's in my "to read" pile. I hope to get to it soon.
WinstonSmith
Favorite Author: Orwell
Favorite Book: Brothers Karamazov - 1984
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment

Post by WinstonSmith »

yes, and he is like Salvador Dali with words. tell me what you think when you read the part about the artist. If you like him you need to read Black Spring too.
KirkB
Favorite Author: Kurt Vonnegut
Favorite Book: Galapagos
Currently Reading: Michael Pollan The Omnivores Dilemma
fav_author_id: 2721

Post by KirkB »

I read it and wasn't overly impressed - Miller / the protagonist just sounded like a jerk to me. Maybe I didn't get it, but I wasn't blown away by the writing style or the story at all.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

I have just finished reading it and had mixed feelings. Some parts of it were brilliant, I thought, especially the descriptive parts. Miller was able to give the reader an almost tactile feel for place and space. Many of the bits involving people felt very disconnected to me - it was hard to warm to any of the characters. The attitude towards women was generally misogynistic, often referred to as a body part, and only valued for sex. Only the Russian princess was given any character development and she was a bit crazy. Some of the male characters were amusing, others just plain sad.

I'm not offended by coarse language, but I generally don't like books where those words are over-used. In this case, I think the f--- and c--- words were used to shock the audience of the day - Miller was successful in that, given the book was banned for so long in English speaking countries.

Overall, it's not a great book by modern standards, but it certainly has its place in history, as it was ahead of it's time in many respects.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
fabulasaule
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulasaule.html

Post by fabulasaule »

I have read it many years ago and I don't even remember what was it really about. I only remember that it was full of quite rude and straight thoughts, negativism and criticism of our world and society. It was dark book. Previously I tended to find such books attractive but I would not read it again I guess..
bibliognost
Currently Reading: The Thinker's Way
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by bibliognost »

This book is one of my all time favorites. The opening passage is brilliant - not sure if I can quote it here -
I am living at the Villa Gorghese. There is not a crumb of dirt anywhere, nor a chair misplaced. We are all alone here and we are dead.
From those first words, the reader starts on a roller coaster. Miller has an outstanding command of English. I can only dream of writing as well.

I read a passage from Tropic of Cancer during the 2016 American Library Association (ALA) Annual Conference, SAGE Publishing and the ALA's Office for Intellectual Freedom co-sponsored a Virtual Read-Out booth.

Search Google for (youtube Heather Hopkins Banned Books) I cannot post the URL. :(
bibliognost
Currently Reading: The Thinker's Way
Bookshelf Size: 135

Post by bibliognost »

I'm not sure why my post went to the moderator - ironic with a book that was banned in the US until the 1960's - but I wanted to reiterate what WinstonSmith said about Salvador Dali with words. Miller is an artist with words. His prose is just mesmerizing.
Redcraze
Bookshelf Size: 123

Post by Redcraze »

Have you read George Orwell's essay "Inside the Whale"? It's an interesting account of how one intelligent reader reacted to Miller's books at a time when they were still controversial..

Return to “Classic Books”