Review: Mansfield Park, by Jane Austen (minor spoilers)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
konnapap
Currently Reading: ethan frome
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-konnapap.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Review: Mansfield Park, by Jane Austen (minor spoilers)

Post by konnapap »

Mansfield Park was the only novel by Jane Austen that I had only read one time. Although I liked it the first time I read it, I appreciated it in a totally different way the second. This happened because I didn't consider it as a romance, I didn't expect any and I wanted to become a judge of the characters. And what a world this opened to me!

Fanny Price grows up with her wealthy relations, the Bertrams, in Mansfield Park. She grows up accustomed to different behaviour than her cousins since she is in a totally different position than them. To be honest, she is never allowed to forget it. The way her aunt Norris and her cousins behave to her is unbearable at times, the boys are excluded since Edmund seems to care about her and Tom doesn't really care of anyone. But she never complains and she is always grateful for all the things that are offered to her. She is almost too good to be real.

Her character becomes more obvious when the Crawfords come into the neighbourhood. All of her cousins become enchanted by them, both of the girls fall in love with Henry, and Edmund falls for Mary. They forget everything that propriety demands. Although Maria is engaged she doesn't even try to show her preference to a man different than her fiance. And in a time that their father is absent. By this point, we learn the Fanny is in love with Edmund and it's so painful to see her observe all of his attentions to Mary Crawford. One of the saddest scenes of the novel is the one that Edmund wants to participate in the play, but he doesn't want to admit it and tries to reason Fanny into urging him to do so.

Edmund for me is unforgivable. He is constantly obsessing over Mary that his judgement is blinded. He sees her faults, but he chooses to ignore them. He understands that she is not the right woman to be a clergyman's wife, but he still nurses the hopes that she will change her mind. His feelings for Fanny are the ones of a brother and this doesn't change in the end, so I can't really understand how he fell in love with her. Besides, they are first cousins!

Henry Crawford is a complex character. He is easygoing and likes to flirt. But he normally knows where to stop. I believe that he genuinely loves Fanny and that he wants to marry her, he's just easy to fall into temptation. This is what ruins his chances in the end.

In Mansfield Park, it's very interesting to see how young wealthy people are behaving. Well-bred girls show no respect to their absent father, firstborns neglect their responsibilities towards an estate that doesn't have the same profit as before, and even aunts the encourage such behaviours. While reading it, you cannot help but think Is Fanny the only reasonable one there?

All in all, Mansfield Park is a very enjoyable novel. Fanny is well-liked and you can only feel bad for all the things she has to endure and all the things she has to remain silent about. There are so many characters here that don't have the acceptable behaviour, but are portrayed so well that it proves the fine writing style of Jane Austen. I would recommend it to anyone, but beware, don't expect any grand romance. You will definitely be disappointed if you expect one.
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
Yafa1822
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yafa1822.html
Latest Review: "Her Irresistible Troublemaker" by Sonia Parin

Post by Yafa1822 »

I read Mansfield Park in High School after watching the Movie. I loved it as much as I loved Emma and Pride and Prejudice. Fanny may not be as strong willed or out-spoken but she has a heart of gold.
Latest Review: "Her Irresistible Troublemaker" by Sonia Parin

Return to “Classic Books”