Recommendations of Classic Books

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dahlstromerin
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahlstromerin.html

Re: Recommendations of Classic Books

Post by dahlstromerin »

Wuthering Heights is my all time favorite, but there are so many good ones!
donnanursing1

Post by donnanursing1 »

Has anyone read the new Debbie MaComber book Cedar Cove? Did anyone see the show on Hallmark this past July? I wanted to see it but did not get Hallmark on tv and they only had advertisements on the website. Donna Taylor Is the book worth reading? The page on Hallmark looked very interesting.
morganinga
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morganinga.html

Post by morganinga »

The Great Gatsby, by Scott Fitzgerald.

This book has such a thick plot line, you can read it a hundred times and still find new and exciting details that you previously missed. Yes, there is a movie about it, but the book is one million times better.
ginarosada+95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginarosada-95.html

Post by ginarosada+95 »

The Great Gatsby is a definite classic. The movie is so glamorous though, I wonder if kids still understand how unhappy Gatsby was while living a lie.
carag4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carag4.html

Post by carag4 »

My three go to classics are Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell, and Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery. All three feature strong women who are easy to relate to. Classic books are usually hard for me to get into and enjoy, but when I find a classic I enjoy, it quickly becomes a favorite.
Craigable
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-craigable.html
Latest Review: "How To NOT Get A Job" by Charlene Holsendorff

Post by Craigable »

The Mythwriter wrote:Everyone has at least heard of "A Tale of Two Cities" by Charles Dickens, but I'm always surprised by how few seem to enjoy it.
Like so many books I've read long ago, I now recall nothing at all about the novel. Mind you, that's not intended as a judgment about the book. Anyway, what I do remember is sitting in a diner with a friend and telling him that I was in the midst of reading A Tale of Two Cities. He immediately made a passing reference to a Madame So-and-So dipping her knitting needles in someone's blood. Naturally I wasn't happy that he spoiled a forthcoming moment in the plot...until days later when, having finished the book, I realized that he had made it up.
Latest Review: "How To NOT Get A Job" by Charlene Holsendorff
beatusmedia

Post by beatusmedia »

I absolutely agree with Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen! I read this book for the first time in middle school and fell in love with Austen and the Bronte sisters.
:)
Amajorityofone

Post by Amajorityofone »

I just finished Lee Harper's To Kill A Mocking Bird.

The book was so good that I started reading it AGAIN as soon as I finished it. Reluctantly, I finally put it down.

I highly recommend it.
Charlotte Reese
Currently Reading: A Year in Provence
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlotte-reese.html

Post by Charlotte Reese »

Mairin wrote:I personally love anything done by Thomas Hardy! My favorite of his being The Mayor of Casterbridge... nearly made me cry at the end!...
I love Thomas Hardy's books too. :) My first TH was "Far from the Madding Crowd" and I immediately became a fan. haven't read all of his books though but I'm working my way through the list.
Shanaya
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanaya.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shanaya »

Kay Fair wrote:Jane Austen said of Emma, "I am going to take a character no one but myself will much like." Seriously?! Is it possible that I am all alone in my affection for dearest Emma? Or can it be I would find many fellow lovers of the most haughty and spoilt of the Jane Austen heroines; as I live not in Jane's world of England circa 1816, but rather in a society that fully worships the rich and naughty antics of Gossip Girls and Real Housewives of... wherever? Yeah, I'm guessing Emma would be a pretty popular chick these days.

My affection for Emma as a novel lies in its tightly laced plot and signature Austen imagery. My adoration of Emma, the character, lies in my lingering childhood desire to somehow make the most popular girl in school like me. (Despite the fact that such a desire is generally rooted in the secret wish that the popular girl will tumble from atop the throne, leaving a vacancy for none other than yours truly.)

It may be cheesy girl stuff, but Emma will always be one of my favorite characters of classic literature. (Complete review available at whatrefuge.blogspot)
I love Jane Austen and have read all her completed books (there are some books that she left incomplete). I have read Emman once and am again going through it. Emma is a great read but too long. The heroine is definitely one of the better portrayed one but her habit of good natured interfering in other people's lives in a bit irritating and speaks of snobbishness. That apart even Elizabeth of Pride and Prejudice had a snobbish side to her for her affections for Mr. Darcy came along with the knowledge that he was the owner of such large and beautiful estate. However, Emma is more human having both virtue and vice and becomes adorable by her realization of mistakes.
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Sweetirishleo7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetirishleo7.html

Post by Sweetirishleo7 »

I am wanting to read Ernest Hemingway, but just do not know where to start? Someone told me it doesn't matter where, they are all great! That doesn't really help much. I'm just looking for some opinions on favorites. Thank you.
goldenmountains230
Favorite Book: The Scarlet Pimpernel
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goldenmountains230.html

Post by goldenmountains230 »

This is a wonderful book by Baroness Orczy! It is skillfully written in an artistic way to the point that some editions even state that although there have been imitations of it, there has never been a greater book than this. I seriously have not met a single person who hates this book and have yet to meet one.

You have to read it. It is a book you will want to read again and again and again. I highly and definitely recommend it!
iColor With Crayons
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-icolor-with-crayons.html

Post by iColor With Crayons »

I would definitely try "Gone With the Wind" by Margaret Mitchell. It's one of my absolute favorite classics!
Penname
Currently Reading: Sugar and Salt
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penname.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Penname »

I loved the Cedar Cove series and the show on hallmark is good.
Dream Catcher
Currently Reading: Battle Royale [Koushun Takami]
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dream-catcher.html

Post by Dream Catcher »

Wuthering Heights. Beautiful.

Return to “Classic Books”