Recommendations of Classic Books

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
iamobama
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by iamobama »

Less i read the book!
PhotonicGuy

Post by PhotonicGuy »

Anna Karenina, by Lev Tolstoy is also a great classical book. I like its style very much , because Tolstoy made a realistic picture of Russia in that era. This book together with all books written by Dostoevsky are the representative classical books for me.
Mairin

Post by Mairin »

I personally love anything done by Thomas Hardy! My favorite of his being The Mayor of Casterbridge... nearly made me cry at the end! I also am a big fan of Bleak House by Charles Dickens.
AmericanIntelligentsia

Post by AmericanIntelligentsia »

PhotonicGuy wrote:Anna Karenina, by Lev Tolstoy is also a great classical book. I like its style very much , because Tolstoy made a realistic picture of Russia in that era. This book together with all books written by Dostoevsky are the representative classical books for me.
I've read some of that (200 or so pages). It's very well done.

Les Miserables, by Victor Hugo. Don't be daunted by its length. This book is one of the greatest I have ever read. Some books can be compared to sapphires, some garnets, some costume jewelry knock-offs. This one is a gem among gems. This is about The Miserable Ones. It is an awesome book, one that was worth all of my time. (I very strongly recommend you read the unabridged version. It is 1467 pages long (Penguin Books), but so much better.)

Les Miserables tells the story of Jean Valjean, a peasant imprisoned for stealing a loaf of bread. He tries to escape four times, and his sentence of five is extended to nineteen years. He is released, and after he becomes Mayor of Montreil-sur-mer, a town whose economy he helped revitalize, he meets the prostitute Fantine, who is sacrificing everything she possesses to support her child, Cosette, who is in the care of the Thenardiers, the man a bandit and robber in disguise, the woman no better. Both abuse and enslave Cosette, until Jean, who promises Fantine upon her death bed that he will take care of Cosette, rescues her. In the words of my mother, "There the story picks up."

This book has pierced me through and through, with grief, and misery, yet it has lifted my mind to the high accolades of the Sierra mountains, and shown me the wonders and glories of God. This book I give my entire and wholehearted recommendation. If you do not read it, you are missing out on one of life's treasures.
10wordreview

Post by 10wordreview »

Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson: I get it. Everything's grotesque. Can we please move on?

Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger: : I might've been the only teenager that didn't like it.

Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess: I thought about this book for months afterwards. Hardcore violence.

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller: Funniest book ever. My favorite character: Major Major Major Major.

David Copperfield by Charles Dickens: Read in London if possible. I would marry David Copperfield.
Dijoy80

Post by Dijoy80 »

I am not used to postings without a required due date. In highschool I used to be able to read a book a day then this thing called adult hood crept up on me.

In an attempt to retain/recover my motivation for reading and writitng, I bought a book for 50 cents, no questions asked, and no looking back now.

Has anyone read, The World According To Garp? By John Irving.... Premitively it feels wordy yet interesting heavy but perhaps worth the labor. I am expecting some solid 1970's circa social commentary.

Any future classical reading suggestions or comments on my half a dollar investment are welcome. I will post my own review when I am finished. In the meantime I have some reading and reconnecting to do.
Shadowpapoose

Post by Shadowpapoose »

Pride and Prejudice is still my all-time favorite classic...and as a bonus, it now comes with zombies!
Lisa Smith

Post by Lisa Smith »

I just recently read Venus in Furs by Leopold von Sacher-masoch and was blown away by how good this book is. If your tired of reading traditional love stories and looking for an alternative love story then this is definitely worth reading.
Browsers

Post by Browsers »

Just read "Moby Dick" a couple of years ago, and was truly amazed to discover that is IS the Great American Novel. I can see how some people are put off by it, but I heartily recommend reading it.

Also, the best edition I have seen is the Arion Press edition. Although it generally sells for $10,000, fortunately for the rest of us the University of California reissued it in hardcover & an affordable trade paperback. Excellent edition & now I wouldn't read it otherwise. Barry Moser illus. & specially designed typeface.

Scott Givens
Browsers' Bookstore
Albany & Corvallis, Oregon
Find us on Facebook!
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

I recently finished Lord of the Flies and would rate it 8.5 out of 10, it took a bit of getting used to as i dont often read old or classic books but am aiming to read some more in the New Year.
You only live once.....so live!
Mairin

Post by Mairin »

StephenKingman wrote:I recently finished Lord of the Flies and would rate it 8.5 out of 10, it took a bit of getting used to as i dont often read old or classic books but am aiming to read some more in the New Year.
I still haven't read Lord of the Flies! :( I had best get on that.
~I'm so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying.~ Oscar Wilde
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

^ Its not that long a book Mairin, and the chapters are well spread so its doable over a weekend. I thought it was a very good book but not sure about being worthy of the nobel prize!
You only live once.....so live!
Mairin

Post by Mairin »

StephenKingman wrote:^ Its not that long a book Mairin, and the chapters are well spread so its doable over a weekend. I thought it was a very good book but not sure about being worthy of the nobel prize!
Well if its short I'll give it a try next weekend.
~I'm so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying.~ Oscar Wilde
Vogin

Post by Vogin »

Candide by Voltaire. Simply a great satiric novel.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Vogin wrote:Candide by Voltaire. Simply a great satiric novel.
I've been listening to it on my MP player during my walks for the last few days ... magnificent satire.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James

Return to “Classic Books”