Recommendations of Classic Books

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DarkestbeforeDawn
Currently Reading: The Idiot
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darkestbeforedawn.html
Latest Review: "Padanaram Village" by Jack Burbank

Re: Recommendations of Classic Books

Post by DarkestbeforeDawn »

The Great God Pan is an old classic you could find on Project Gutenberg. It is a great mystery horror that resembles the written form of a Twilight Zone episode. The development of the characters are a little weak, the novel chooses to focus on an array of them and use the characters as pawns to flesh out and outline the outcome of "seeing the Great God Pan". Hysteria, disturbances, murders, and suicides are all centered around it. It's a quick read and easy to follow. The ending may be a tad rushed, but it does fold up rather nicely. If you enjoy any dark, Victorian novels, I would recommend.
Raven1128
Currently Reading: What's Left of Me
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raven1128.html

Post by Raven1128 »

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley is a really good novel if you are into gothic literature. Shelley really comments on human nature and the definition of humanity. Another good classic would be "The Gods will Have Blood" by Anatole France. If you are into historical fiction and political ideology.
Liefji_08
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liefji-08.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Liefji_08 »

I'm pleasantly surprised by the amount of people who enjoyed Crime and Punishment, it is one of my favorite books ever, along with Leon Tostoy's War and Peace. The complexity of the stories as well as the characters make them tough yet wonderful reading adventures. Hiding goods, going to prison and running into battle are all part of living this great Russian Adventures.
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

I always recommend Gone With the Wind, it still surprises me that I started a book like that and absolutely loved it.

The book follows the life of Scarlett O'Hara during the Civil War and her ups and downs trying to survive the changes it brings to her lifestyle. Throughout it all she moons over Ashley Wilkes, a quiet, gentle man that is the exact opposite to her fiery and headstrong personality. It may not sound like something that will keep you entertained through the many hundreds of pages (it's pretty long) but this book is amazing! I love a book with complex characters and that is what you get with Scarlett. You have to admire her strength, in a world where young and pretty women are expected to marry and have children, she breaks the mold by trying to be independent. At the same time, she does some pretty cruel things to get what she wants and she doesn't care who she steps over in the process.

If you were ever thinking about reading this book, do it. If you never thought this book was your type, read it. I would have never picked this book up if not for a friend of mine, who knows my interests are a little more dark, recommending it. I'm very glad I did, it far surpassed my expectations.
tracya1331
Currently Reading: Bazaar of Bad Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tracya1331.html

Post by tracya1331 »

One of my all time favorite "Classic" novels is Dracula by Bram Stoker. Vampires, mysterious dogs,ship wrecks, mental patients, folk lore and of course the love triangles make this book a must read.
crazyrussianmaria
Favorite Author: Margaret Mitchell
Currently Reading: Unearthly
Bookshelf Size: 414
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyrussianmaria.html
fav_author_id: 2998

Post by crazyrussianmaria »

Gone With the Wind has been and will always be my favorite book in the world. It is masterfully written and the plot is mesmerizing. I don't think it can get boring, even if it tried. There is a little bit of everything and it's not just a romance story. I love that there's also a historical aspect to it. And in this case, I think the movie does the book justice because Vivien Leigh as Scarlett O'Hara is the most perfect choice. And Clark Gable as Rhett Butler, best casting job in the world.

However, Scarlett is my favorite heroine of all time because she has backbone and even if she might be considered a bitch for some of her actions in the book, I still find myself looking up to her because she was a strong woman living in a time when women didn't have many rights and it was unheard of for them to be anything but stay-at-home wives and mothers. She is just so driven, I always aspired to be like her. I think this book is phenomenal and every book lover should read it.
"You still think love can save us. It's more killing than hate. Hate is so clean, so simple, like being in the ring. With hate, you just keep hitting; you hit until they stop hitting back. With love, they never stop."--- Colleen McCullough
iamjennie1
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkien

Post by iamjennie1 »

Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux is one of my favorites!
DarkestbeforeDawn
Currently Reading: The Idiot
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darkestbeforedawn.html

Post by DarkestbeforeDawn »

I will make a case for Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Although it is a short read, it is one of those classic horror stories riddled with suspense. As a lovely addition, there is a discussion on the duality of human morality. I suppose with a character with dual personalities, this would have come up sooner or later, but it was refreshing!
funandfree89

Post by funandfree89 »

I always like The STranger by Albert Camus, it introduced me to a new strand of philosophy that i very much enjoy :D
clairesthilaire
Currently Reading: Bloods
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clairesthilaire.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 10

Post by clairesthilaire »

The Tuggernaut wrote:I recently read Fyodyr Dostoyevsky's paragon of classic Russian literature, Crime and Punishment. The protagonist of the novel is a young intellectual student who resides in St. Petersburg, named Raskolnikov. He lives in squalid poverty and murders an immoral pawn-broker for what originally appears to be her possessions. But, as Dostoyevsky delves deeper into the mind of Raskolnikov, the reader finds more intriguing motives for his crime, and Raskolnikov seems to view himself as a great man (he is constantly comparing himself to Napolean) that is exempt from moral law. In this page-turner Raskolnikov attempts to avoid arrest and redeem himself by helping the poor family of a prostitute. This novel was written by Dostoyevsky as an attempt to combat the growing Russian nihilism of the time period, and the author sternly reminds us that nobody is above moral law, whether your punishment comes in the form of imprisonment or grief and remorse.
If you liked Dostoyevsky's "Crime and Punishment", you might also enjoy his lesser known book "The Idiot" which is an incredible look at how a truly good person struggles within the tangled web of a deceptive society. Also, in the same strain as "Crime and Punishment" is Tolstoy's "Resurrection". In Tolstoy's book, however, he focuses on forgiveness instead of punishment.
Mikaela Ellwood
Publishing Contest Votes: 31

Post by Mikaela Ellwood »

I agree with The Mythwriter. A Tale of Two Cities is downright genius! It is so intense and marvellously told. Definitely worth reading. Dickens' style is wonderful.

Another of Dickens' books, Bleak House, is my favourite book of all time. I notice in that one that Dickens often has really long paragraphs, but then leaves something marvellous at the end - a treasure, a little sidelong grin at the audience - which makes reading the whole thing worthwhile. It draws you into his confidence and makes you a part of the story. It seems that endings are where Dickens really reveals his genius and knocks the head off your shoulders. I cried the first time I finished Bleak House, it has such a marvellous ending! But the ending of A Tale of Two Cities blew me away. I will definitely read it again.
reading-is-awesome
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reading-is-awesome.html

Post by reading-is-awesome »

Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls. I read this in fifth grade I'm pretty sure I cried, but this book is do amazingly written and descriptive. I love how it tells the journey of a boy and his dogs and how they had a special bond and how they had been through many things together.
CzechTigg
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czechtigg.html
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor

Post by CzechTigg »

DarkestbeforeDawn wrote:I will make a case for Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Although it is a short read, it is one of those classic horror stories riddled with suspense. As a lovely addition, there is a discussion on the duality of human morality. I suppose with a character with dual personalities, this would have come up sooner or later, but it was refreshing!
We had a new TV adaptation of that classic story, but it really didn't come to full life. I do think the core idea is amazing though. Being likened to 'Jekyll and Hyde' by someone I know was not a great experience, but then we all say inflammatory stuff (like it or not).
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor
Sarah the Writer
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-the-writer.html

Post by Sarah the Writer »

I love Around the World in 80 Days. It's short, yes, but it is such a good story, I enjoy it immensely.
Hananon
Currently Reading: Never Let Me Go
Bookshelf Size: 140

Post by Hananon »

Hello!
I feel like I must recommend Villette by Charlotte Bronte. Not many people seem to know about it even though it is simply a masterpiece. Lucy Snow is the most unusual heroine and the book is much darker and more complex than Jane Eyre (which is Charlotte's widely read book).

Return to “Classic Books”