Recommendations of Classic Books

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Michelle92
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle92.html
Latest Review: "Yesterdat" by Samyann

Re: Recommendations of Classic Books

Post by Michelle92 »

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen is my favorite classic of all times.
If you want to try some classical titles for the first time, I really recommed this one. It is full of emotion and the language is so rich that it is just amazing for that.
Latest Review: "Yesterdat" by Samyann
Paulina1
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paulina1.html

Post by Paulina1 »

"A Christmas Carol,"by Charles Dickens is a great holiday classic about a gentleman that has three visitors talk to him about his past
and future.
EmiOllie
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emiollie.html

Post by EmiOllie »

One of my most well-read favorites is Tales of the Alhambra, by Washington Irving. It is, undoubtedly a very dense book- but once you get through the first few chapters, it completely transports you to another world. It wasn't Washington Irving's most popular book, far from it. However, I felt rather transformed after reading it, feeling as if I had really visited Granada and walked through the halls of the Alhambra.
Jjnessie 33
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjnessie-33.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by Jjnessie 33 »

Grimm fairy tales or Dracula
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
rovet
Currently Reading: We Are the Ants
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rovet.html
Latest Review: "Pale Bricks" by K. L. Stein

Post by rovet »

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.

I first started reading it thinking it would be the type of classic that you want to have read, but don't want to actually read. I was so wrong! It was such a good book! I can't believe that I waited this long to read it in the first place.
Latest Review: "Pale Bricks" by K. L. Stein
E_MarMatt95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-marmatt95.html

Post by E_MarMatt95 »

Wuthering Heights was actually something I came across as an accident. I'd heard of it in passing and I never really had an interest in reading it. One day, perusing the Internet, I came across it for free download and figured "what the hey?" I gave it a read and I must say, I was addicted almost instantly. While Emily Bronte was confusing and frustrating, I found myself pulled into her world with Heathcliff and Cathy. I loved it to the core and I will be reading it many times.
PinkMonkeyBird
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by PinkMonkeyBird »

I'm looking for something classical for beginners. Vocabulary isn't an issue, but context is.
netfarm

Post by netfarm »

Chandamama is for childrens
dhwanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhwanis.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dhwanis »

For me, "Pride and Prejudice" would have a very special place as it was the first classic I read.
Nik_R

Post by Nik_R »

When your cynicism reaches an all time high, you should revisit The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger. We've all been there at some point in our lives, where everything is annoying and seems pointless. The author zones in on Holden's loneliness though surrounded by many, which is a relatable topic to most readers. Though depressing at times, the author accurately portays the emptiness and isolation during the difficult adolescent years. It is a classic because the feelings echoed are universal.
Nren

Post by Nren »

I cannot emphasis enough how fantastic of a book Pride and Prejudice is! It is a perfect book for lovers of strong rebellious female characters and the romantic elements in many YA novels, but also for the readers that sometimes feels YA books are too simple or poorly written to stimulate them. Pride and Prejudice is like a more sophisticated YA romantic fiction book. It is absolutely impossible not to fall in love with the characters and to ignore the beauty and humor of the book's prose. I could not put it down.
ms62
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ms62.html

Post by ms62 »

I Love Classics. They are Creations of an Era and so well depicts the Cultures of hose Times. The Story is so well and Intricately woven in the times and its constraints with social confinements and yet its untangled siplicity and rebels.

One such a Classic i remmber. The author W.Somerset maughm. The name of the book I have forgotten. But the matter was of China and its revolution. The social bondages, the plight of women, the revolution, and the upheavel. the women liberation was depicted by untying of her feet by the Cloth to keep them small.

If anyone has read that Book and has it in their Collection, i would again like to Read it. the various excerpts still cajole my mind and a shiver runs up my spine.

Happy reading!
gosports 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gosports-46.html

Post by gosports 46 »

"The Swiss Family Robinson" is one of my most favorite classics! It is about a family that gets shipwrecked while traveling and ends up being the only survivors of all the people on the ship. They end up building lookouts and camps all over the island. The family works together to survive on the island with what ever the have on the island. It is an amazing story, however there are several different versions of this book but I recommend to try and get the older versions.
dickens 100
Currently Reading: The Italian Wife
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dickens-100.html

Post by dickens 100 »

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte and George Orwell's masterpiece, 1984
Books that are truly shocking and gripping at the same time
jhmende
Currently Reading: The Bible
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhmende.html
Latest Review: "Blowing Sandstorm" by Horace Crenshaw, Jr.

Post by jhmende »

I know that "Lord of the Rings" and "the Hobbit" are fairly popular, but there are also some wonderful characters and great themes in the Tolkien legendarium, "the Silmarillion." I just finished it and it's one of my new favorites. Does that count as a classic?
Latest Review: "Blowing Sandstorm" by Horace Crenshaw, Jr.

Return to “Classic Books”