Recommendations of Classic Books

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rekarey
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rekarey.html

Re:

Post by Rekarey »

StephenKingman wrote:I recently finished Lord of the Flies and would rate it 8.5 out of 10, it took a bit of getting used to as i dont often read old or classic books but am aiming to read some more in the New Year.

I remember reading Lord of the Flies in high school. I thought it was well written. The Hunger Games trilogy reminds me a lot of Lord of the Flies.
neonight

Post by neonight »

Books shelved as classic: Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper ... Goodreads: Book reviews, recommendations, and discussion.
Misaela
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misaela.html
Latest Review: "A Wounded World" by Crit Kincaid
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Misaela »

I read some classics through school, but did not appreciate them. My interest in reading started almost after finishing high school, and those years of in-depth studying of the classics were lost. I'd like to see other's recommendations, so that maybe this time around I'll enjoy them.
Neleh403
Favorite Author: Diane Chamberlain
Favorite Book: The stand by Stephen King
Currently Reading: Of mice and men
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neleh403.html
Latest Review: "Plymouth Discovery" by Bill Brown
fav_author_id: 2413

Post by Neleh403 »

Of mice and men has to be one of my favourites. I'm new to classical reading too. Have just finished dantes inferno in English obviously! Can't decide whether I enjoyed it or not, some scenes were quite disturbing.
Misaela

Post by Misaela »

Neleh403 wrote:Of mice and men has to be one of my favourites. I'm new to classical reading too. Have just finished dantes inferno in English obviously! Can't decide whether I enjoyed it or not, some scenes were quite disturbing.
I won it Spanish (my first language). I'll try to read it soon. Of Mice and Men, what's it about?
Megan Young
Favorite Author: VC Andrews
Favorite Book: My Sweet Audrina
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megan-young.html

Post by Megan Young »

Ive never read it either, now Im going to have to read it!
Misaela

Post by Misaela »

I saw a movie about Dante's Inferno. Yes, it was very disturbing, but I enjoyed it.
Neleh403
Favorite Author: Diane Chamberlain
Favorite Book: The stand by Stephen King
Currently Reading: Of mice and men
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neleh403.html
fav_author_id: 2413

Post by Neleh403 »

Misaela wrote:
Neleh403 wrote:Of mice and men has to be one of my favourites. I'm new to classical reading too. Have just finished dantes inferno in English obviously! Can't decide whether I enjoyed it or not, some scenes were quite disturbing.
I won it Spanish (my first language). I'll try to read it soon. Of Mice and Men, what's it about?
It's a short story, easily read in one night. Basically it's about 2 men that go to work on a ranch in America, in the depression. One man has learning difficulties and the other man takes care of him. That is a very very basic synopsis. Hope you enjoy.

-- 05 Sep 2013, 17:43 --
Misaela wrote:I saw a movie about Dante's Inferno. Yes, it was very disturbing, but I enjoyed it.
I haven't seen the film, but suggest you read the book. It certainly makes you think!
Misaela

Post by Misaela »

I'll let you know how it was after I read it.
tinafeb584

Post by tinafeb584 »

After reading some of the posts, I gather that lot of people are recommending to read "Crime and Punishment". I am going to note that down, post comments later after reading it.
Misaela

Post by Misaela »

I'm doing that too. Actually, I started a list recently with all my OnlineBookClub recommendations.
Zannie
Currently Reading: Defending Jacob
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reading Device: B000FI73MA

Post by Zannie »

That's a good idea. I think I should start to do that as well
mcs1040
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mcs1040.html
Latest Review: "Somewhere Upriver" by Patrick Loafman

Post by mcs1040 »

Anything by Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters, Tolstoi, Dumas father and son, Victor Hugo, Oscar Wilde, and many more.
Latest Review: "Somewhere Upriver" by Patrick Loafman
cristhian

Post by cristhian »

I have recently finished reading a book titled "Fame: What the Classics Tell us About our Cult Of Celebrity", which tries to unravel the meaning of the contemporary heros every population throughout history has had. The most appealing charasteristic of this book is that it is narrated as a story so you will definetely get a sense of belonging as you go further into the book. By the way, I got it through oferton de libros. Be Happy :D
noahadams
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noahadams.html
Latest Review: "Hiram's Honor" by Max Terman

Post by noahadams »

Absolutely Les Miserables. It's a tomb and you will have to read it over a long period (it took me two or three months), but it's unquestionably one of the greatest books ever written and you can believe me when I saw that this is not hyperbole.

-- 24 Sep 2013, 14:15 --

I just finished reading C&P and I have to say that, while I liked it and certainly appreciated its literary merits, I didn't feel like it lived up to its 'advance press'. By comparison, I found Les Miserables was better than I could have imagined, so this isn't a case of classical literature being unrelatable, at least not for me.

I sometimes compare this to my experience watching Casablanca and Citizen Kane for the first time a few years ago, (I'm 31, so I definitely didn't see them the first time around). Casablanca seemed timeless and its reputation barely did it justice; Citizen Kane felt dated and suffered on comparison to its reputation. This is not to say that I didn't like Citizen Kane, just that I probably would have liked it better if I'd known nothing about it when I saw it.
Latest Review: "Hiram's Honor" by Max Terman

Return to “Classic Books”