Recommendations of Classic Books

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mary_H
Bookshelf Size: 0

Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky

Post by Mary_H »

I agree with everyone promoting Crime and Punishment, it's powerful and masterfully written.
terrilyn_2000
Currently Reading: Getting Unstuck
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-terrilyn-2000.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by terrilyn_2000 »

I whole heartedly agree! This book has always been my most favorite! The depth of the characters and attention to detail made me feel like I was right there.
K_Kaori
Currently Reading: The Saltwater Ghost
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-kaori.html

Post by K_Kaori »

Amajorityofone wrote:I just finished Lee Harper's To Kill A Mocking Bird.

The book was so good that I started reading it AGAIN as soon as I finished it. Reluctantly, I finally put it down.

I highly recommend it.

Yes! To Kill a Mockingbird is my favorite from the classics and I guess is one of the most successful in this section. The mystery along the story regarding Boo Radley and his rescue in the climax was astounding.

-- 26 Jun 2016, 09:50 --
Bookworm2011 wrote:I just finished reading The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins. I found the book intriguing. I found that this he did a good job building up the mystery behind the characters. I enjoy how the book is written in the views of many characters and that as a reader all the reasons behind the actions are explained. In many mystery books I feel like I am left with questions still but with this book I found that everything was answered. I would definitely recommend this book.
I have read the book! It is a complete mystery and sensational book! The White Woman is the only oldest written book i have read and has such a fascinating plot. :techie-reference: :D
Stand_tall
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stand-tall.html

Post by Stand_tall »

Mary_H wrote:I agree with everyone promoting Crime and Punishment, it's powerful and masterfully written.
Totally agree, at first I was thinking that it wasn't going to be good because of the description in the first chapter but once I got a good distance in I found it very in depth. Really it's just one of those books that end up sticking with you for a long time.
pyb
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pyb.html
Latest Review: "God, Red Shoes and Chocolate Pudding" by Hayley Hart

Post by pyb »

I recently read Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie and it is one of my new favorites. A brilliant epic tale that mirrors important historical events in India. But even if you miss the political connections it makes, the story stands on its own.
Latest Review: "God, Red Shoes and Chocolate Pudding" by Hayley Hart
vjackowiak

Post by vjackowiak »

A novel that I consider a classic young adult literary fiction composition about young men, is an analytical review from the protagonist's viewpoint about his classes' coming-of-age story. Written by John Knowles and titled, "A Separate Peace".

The enduring novel is an in-depth look on male interactions, friendships, comradery and competition at an ivy-league preparatory boys' school prior to the United States entering World War II and post-World War II; whereby, the reader is privy to the main character; i.e. the protagonist, Gene Forrester's secret thoughts during the telling tale.

With the backdrop of numerous school events and the U.S. World War II involvement, the cataclysmic end mirrors the earth shattering changes impacting the planet at the time.

Although this book is a dated piece, the story’s development and detailed rivalry described and revealed, gives the reader a solid understanding of the real competition amongst human relationships; thereby, illustrating the existing contests.

This suspenseful narrative, hurls the reader’s emotions to reflect upon one’s own thoughts and points of view of others and for a young adult, this novel provides a genuine perception that regardless of systematic jokes and comedic communications interfacing young people, the serious competitive edge is no laughing matter when jealousy, envy, spitefulness, greed, resentment and goodwill are emotionally challenged.

In general, this book is an excellent choice and gift to a young man either pre-teen or a teenager between 13 to 16 years old; whereas, for a young woman, this novel is an exceptionally safe passage to help a pre-teen or teenager between 13 to 16 years old comprehend their male classmates.

I highly recommend this novel as a classic read, and for older adults, I recommend this novel for nostalgic ideals for and to achieving a better understanding & reflection of the historic past.
erica_bvs
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 668">Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince</a>
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erica-bvs.html

Post by erica_bvs »

I read To Kill a Mockingbird for school and I loved it! You also can't go wrong with Pride and Prejudice.
lakenbutler
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lakenbutler.html

Post by lakenbutler »

The book Anna Karenina. Leo Tolstoy. It takes a minute to get really started. But I promise you. Its awesome. -girl who is currently reading it
StaceyB
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-staceyb.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by StaceyB »

I first read Crime and Punishment as a required reading in 11th grade English. Some days I enjoyed reading it, other days I did not. I reread Crime and Punishment in my 30s and found myself unable to put the book down. I wished there were other people reading it so we could talk about the story. This is s perplexing tale and I may be alone in my thinking, but I felt drawn by the themes of dignity and love. Raskolnikov simultaneously rejects and craves love and dignity. His conscience is cataloguing all the indignities around him, which he add to while wanting to be accepted. I was strangely touched by this book.
AHazard
Currently Reading: Daniel Deronda
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahazard.html
Latest Review: "That Child Within" by Brian Cecil

Post by AHazard »

I love classics! Here are a few I recommend:

If you want a classic with a twist:
American by Henry James
The Portrait of a Young Lady by Henry James

If you want true old England:
Any Jane Austen

If you want classic science/thriller:
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
Dracula by Bram Stoker

If you want fairy tales with a twist:
Old Grimm's Fairy Tales by Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm

Those are just a few.
George Elliot is also a wonderful author. I am currently reading Daniel Deronda by her! Review to come!

Happy Reading!
Latest Review: "That Child Within" by Brian Cecil
Sasha For
Currently Reading: The Haunted Bookshop
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sasha-for.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sasha For »

One of my all time favorite books is Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. It is a classic tale of mishap and recovery. It wonderfully describes how a woman can be in charge of her own life if she is just willing. While some people have told me that the story is not gripping enough for them I find the novel enticing. It may not be one of those stories that you "just want to read one more page" for an hour before you realize you should go to bed, it is a great overall story and one that I recommend.
the biblophile

Post by the biblophile »

New Grub street by George Gissing is one of my favorites.
VFitz
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vfitz.html

Post by VFitz »

I would recommend The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte. Perhaps the lesser know Bronte sister, Anne crafts a masterpiece in this one. I find the heroine deeply inspiring as she struggles with the choices of her hasty marriage decision. It's been awhile since I read it, but it always comes to mind as one of my favorites in classic literature.
zaminadhalla
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaminadhalla.html

Post by zaminadhalla »

The great gatsby
the catcher in the rye
brave new world
lord of the flies
a tale of two cities
and alice in wonderland
are some great classics to check out!
Katie Birch

Post by Katie Birch »

Mary_H wrote:I agree with everyone promoting Crime and Punishment, it's powerful and masterfully written.
Yep, it's one of my favourite

Return to “Classic Books”