Recommendations of Classic Books

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Recommendations of Classic Books

Post by Scott »

Please use this thread to recommend or post short reviews of books that fall in the category of classics.

If you want personalized recommendations for this genre, make a post in this thread with a brief explanation about what type of other books or authors you like in this genre.

You can also recommend against reading books that you read but didn't like.

When recommending a book, it may help to make a concise description of the book. If you wish to write more than a paragraph about a book or series, please post a new thread dedicated solely to that book or series.

If you are listing a lot of books, it may be a good idea to briefly explain the list a little. (Are all the books part of a sub-genre? Do they all the books you are listing have something in common? If they are your personal favorites in the genre, then briefly tell us a little about yourself and what types of books you like.)
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
kutty
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kutty »

Try Lynn Viehl's Darkyn series. It's romance but it is strongly laced with urban fantasy. This series is also darker than your standard vampire related paranormal romance. If you want to try something a bit different that is fast paced and has humor, try Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark series. Another excellent paranormal series is Nalini Singh's Psy/Changeling series. Does not involved vampires, but rather shifters, and it is superbly written. The setting is futuristic.

Have you read Anne Rice? Interview with the Vampire is exactly what you describe, and there are sequels too. Very dark and gothic.

There's also the classics, like Dracula (Bram Stoker) and Frankenstein (Mary Shelley) but they may or may not be holiday reading to you!

Ever, to the outside world, is an ordinary 16yr old girl. But she isn't. Ever since her family died in a ccident she somehow survived back into the world with a gift that she thinks she would be better out- a psychic gift and seeing auras. She wants to be normal, and handsome Damen helps her do exactly that..she tries not to show that she like him, but of course she does..when they touch...when he speaks..he's the only thing in the world. but whats more strange is that he doesn't have an aura. Only dead people dont have aura...but if he isnt dead..what is he?

Brotherhood of the Black Dagger by JR Ward.
Yasmine Galenorn - 3 sisters, one is a witch, one is a vampire and one is a death maiden and they are half fae.
Karen Marie Moning - fae series

well my moms reading this one series i think its a Sookie Stackhouse novel their vampire books the HBO show True Blood is based on them

read A LOT So here are some titles that are pretty good. If you have anymore questions or want to know something on a book please feel to contact me

Peeps: Scoot Westerfeld

Tantilize: Cynthia Lertich Smith

The secret Circle: L.J Smith

Blue bloods series: Melissa Delacruz

The House of Night Series: P.C Cast and Kristen Cast

The Vampire Chronicales: Anne Rice

The Beasties: William Sleator

Prom Nights form hell: Meg Cabot, Kim Harrison, Michele jaffe, Stephenie Meyer, Lauren Myracle.

[Moderation note: Seven consecutive posts by same user combined into 1 post.]
Last edited by kutty on 02 Jun 2009, 07:11, edited 1 time in total.
The Tuggernaut

Post by The Tuggernaut »

I recently read Fyodyr Dostoyevsky's paragon of classic Russian literature, Crime and Punishment. The protagonist of the novel is a young intellectual student who resides in St. Petersburg, named Raskolnikov. He lives in squalid poverty and murders an immoral pawn-broker for what originally appears to be her possessions. But, as Dostoyevsky delves deeper into the mind of Raskolnikov, the reader finds more intriguing motives for his crime, and Raskolnikov seems to view himself as a great man (he is constantly comparing himself to Napolean) that is exempt from moral law. In this page-turner Raskolnikov attempts to avoid arrest and redeem himself by helping the poor family of a prostitute. This novel was written by Dostoyevsky as an attempt to combat the growing Russian nihilism of the time period, and the author sternly reminds us that nobody is above moral law, whether your punishment comes in the form of imprisonment or grief and remorse.
Montetre'

Post by Montetre' »

Crime and Punishment ranks up there!
Indonesia

Post by Indonesia »

The book true Belever is a crazy book. Its about a girl who lives in the Pj's and she has great goals set for her self. But when a childhood friend comes back everything is turned upside down. She starts to have strong feelings for him and before you know their going to school dances. But he wont kiss her and when he does he misses. Then one day he stayed home because he was sick so she made cookies for him and went to his apartment. She had a key just in case either of them were in trouble. When she entered she saw to boys kissing behind the fish tank and one of them was Jody her childhood and teenage crush. Great book and awsome ending read it to find out what happens next.
The Mythwriter

Post by The Mythwriter »

Everyone has at least heard of "A Tale of Two Cities" by Charles Dickens, but I'm always surprised by how few seem to enjoy it. I'll admit that its true that the the plot, or rather plots, are very numerous and seemingly disjointed; yet the way they weave together in the end is simply genius, and I would think any who complain that plot lines are too linear these days would get their fix for life from this book.

I can only imagine that the complaints arise from how often the viewpoint jumps, and it's pretty hard to follow for awhile. In fact, I found myself really lost at a few points as to how anything was relevant. But when the conclusion comes around, and you see what everyone and everything is all about, your mind just reels from all the meaning you can draw from it!

Sydney Carton is definitely one of the most profound characters I know. A life of perpetual disappoint would lead so many to choose so differently, and especially when they could have benefited from it like he could have. But when he makes his final choice... not only giving his life a final purpose, but to define the height of true love and nobility, brings out the best of humanity we all hope actually exists in us.

This book will forever be one of my favorites... I wish I could talk about it for pages, but no one would read the post, haha! But the best way is to read it yourself.
"The world has been printing books for 450 years, and yet gunpowder still has a wider circulation. Never mind! Printer's ink is the greater explosive: it will win." - Christopher Morley, "The Haunted Bookshop."
1cooldaddyo

Post by 1cooldaddyo »

"Tale of Two Cities" was one of the few high school "required reading" book I ever enjoyed. I've forgotten most of it now (30+ years ago), might have to read it again.

I'm currently reading "The Time Machine" and loving it. I think the way Wells leaves the characters unnamed helps draw you into the story. By purposely leaving the descriptions vague, he allows you to create your own. You become a part of the story rather than just an observer.
ryan2

Post by ryan2 »

The Sea Wolf by Jack London is largely a book of two battling philosophies. A "gentleman," meaning a man who doesn't have to work to feed himself, is aboard a ship which sinks in a thick fog. In the confusion of the escape of the ship's terrified passengers, Humphrey finds himself alone swimming aimlessly in some direction or other. Before his life is allowed to expire in the cold San Fransisco harbor, he is found by a passing sealing ship. The captain decides to scoup up this drowning man and forces him to serve on his ship to replace a dead crewman. The captain of this sealing vessel is the Sea Wolf Larson who lives by the law of the strong thrive because they oppress the weak. Staged on this vessel of hell as the crewmen come to think of it is the test of the rules of civilized life. What is justice? What is good? What is evil? Is life really a good thing? Humphrey defends the virtues of civilization in face of the heartless demonstrations by the merciless Sea Wolf Larson.
Last edited by ryan2 on 20 Oct 2009, 23:19, edited 1 time in total.
Kay Fair

Post by Kay Fair »

Jane Austen said of Emma, "I am going to take a character no one but myself will much like." Seriously?! Is it possible that I am all alone in my affection for dearest Emma? Or can it be I would find many fellow lovers of the most haughty and spoilt of the Jane Austen heroines; as I live not in Jane's world of England circa 1816, but rather in a society that fully worships the rich and naughty antics of Gossip Girls and Real Housewives of... wherever? Yeah, I'm guessing Emma would be a pretty popular chick these days.

My affection for Emma as a novel lies in its tightly laced plot and signature Austen imagery. My adoration of Emma, the character, lies in my lingering childhood desire to somehow make the most popular girl in school like me. (Despite the fact that such a desire is generally rooted in the secret wish that the popular girl will tumble from atop the throne, leaving a vacancy for none other than yours truly.)

It may be cheesy girl stuff, but Emma will always be one of my favorite characters of classic literature. (Complete review available at whatrefuge.blogspot)
Last edited by Kay Fair on 18 Sep 2009, 16:22, edited 2 times in total.
windchime64

Post by windchime64 »

"Cold Sassy Tree" by Olive Ann Burns

About a 14 year old boy growing up in a poor rural town in the 1920's alongside his beloved grandfather. Will Tweedy has many adventures and close-calls. This book will keep you laughing and probably make you shed a tear or two.
My ALL TIME FAVORITE!
A little bit of "Tom Sawyer" mixed with "To Kill a Mockingbird" style.
imstilljoeypotter

Post by imstilljoeypotter »

I loved A Tale of Two Cities! It's a beautiful story.

To previous poster, you're not alone in your love for Emma. I loved all of Jane Austen's novels, but I think my favorite is still Pride and Prejudice. Elizabeth Bennett is the perfect heroine IMO.

As far as other Classic literature, I'm a big fan of Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest as well as The Picture of Dorian Grey. Everything Wilde wrote was brilliant, but these two differ from each other in tone so much as to make them stand out for me. I also like Lady Windermere's fan.

I think Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights is an amazing story. It sucks me in every time I read it. Heathcliff is still the most diabolical villain I've encountered in literature.
IceM

Post by IceM »

Othello, chronicling Iago's manipulation of multiple characters after being rejected of a military promotion* (I think it was military promotion) demonstrates nihilism at it's finest. The harrowing depths and everlasting cunning of Iago is seamless and fun to read, as well.

I'm not sure if it's a major classic, but Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse 5 combines wit and dark shades of humor to deliver an enjoyable read. Loosely related to the fire-bombing of Dresden, the author describes Billy Pilgrim's experiences as he becomes detached of time, frequently reliving memories of his life. Lovely.

Although I have not yet finished Notes From Underground, Dostoyevsky presents an embittered man who gives brilliant discourse on logic, reason, and everything the "stupid man", as he sees it, is infautuated with. While he presents himself as rambling, the journal-esque structure (it is his notes, after all) presented with the eloquent lunacy in his ideas mold beautifully. Must read for anyone who considers themselves a reader at any level.
AvidReader76

Post by AvidReader76 »

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to the book club. I just finished reading "The Picture Of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde for the first time. I was supposed to read it in High School many moons ago but never did or at least I don't recall that I did. This book is extremely Candid, about Life and Differences between Men and Womyn. I learned alot about Life and Love from this book. I do recommend this novel to anyone who loves fiction and classic lit. Now I've started further on my list of classic books to read and am reading The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Happy Reading Everyone! 7-5-2010
PhotonicGuy

Post by PhotonicGuy »

I must agree with The Tuggernaut. Crime and Punishment is a complex classical book and I love it.
lukebodell

Post by lukebodell »

PhotonicGuy wrote:I must agree with The Tuggernaut. Crime and Punishment is a complex classical book and I love it.
Crime and Punishment is absolutely amazing! Definitely in my top 5 books ever, I think everyone should read it, and then read it again.

Return to “Classic Books”