Recommendations of Classic Books

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lenerd24
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lenerd24.html

Re: Recommendations of Classic Books

Post by Lenerd24 »

HOW TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD by Harper Lee!!! Best book of all time! I am more thankful to my freshman english teacher for requiring this book to be read than I am for anything else! It is such an inspiring and original story!
nicoleponsi

Post by nicoleponsi »

Carmilla by J. Sheridan Le Fanu, written in 1872 and was the inspiration for Bram Stokers Dracula. A beautifully Gothic novella.
athena3233

Post by athena3233 »

I've always been told if you can read Tolstoy then you can read anything - So i've decided to give Anna Karenina a try cause i find the story fascinating would other members recommend.

-- 06 Nov 2014, 21:13 --

Im a very avid reader but i have hit a brick wall on my books and i am tired of reading the same books over from my small collection - can anybody recommend any good stories that i may try x
Fary
Currently Reading: An Obstinate Vanity
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fary.html

Post by Fary »

Among the classic 'Gone with the wind' has to be my absolute favourite. I absolutely love Scarlett O Hara though I'm sure I'd be absolutely mortified to meet someone like her in person.
mui-scrimp
Favorite Book: This question is impossible
Currently Reading: The Red Queen
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mui-scrimp.html

Post by mui-scrimp »

I'm just about finishing Jane Eyre. I loved it!!! It's not the most in the way of action, but I enjoy the story.
There are weapons you cannot hold in your hands. You can only hold them in your mind.
-Brian Herbert
chouk1902
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chouk1902.html

Post by chouk1902 »

"The Count of Mounte Cristo," "Sea wolf," "the hobbit," the list goes on FOREVER
deelewis
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deelewis.html

Post by deelewis »

Charles Dickens

Anything written by him is well worth the time. Another classic author I like is Wilkie Collins.

-- 19 Nov 2014, 09:27 --

I have read "The Count of Mounte Cristo' and loved it.
Miller

Post by Miller »

I love reading The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. It is so deep and, as every classic work, actual also nowadays.
deelewis

Post by deelewis »

I think I have The Idiot somewhere so I may have to have a read soon.

-- 02 Dec 2014, 08:06 --

I read that years ago and it may be time again for me to do so again. Thoroughly enjoyed it the first time.
Miller

Post by Miller »

Yes, it is worth of reading again, during several stages of your life. The way Dostoyevsky describes weaknesses of people is superb.
deelewis

Post by deelewis »

Anything else I should have a read?
Miller

Post by Miller »

If you want to read a classic book, then I would recommend The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas. Amazing description of history through friendships, relationships on all levels. If you are open also for modern literature, I would recommend The One Plus One by Jojo Moyes. I am reading it currently and very happy about it :) it makes me switch. It perfectly describes a difference between middle class and rich through everyday routine.
deelewis

Post by deelewis »

Just finished Cricket on the Hearth by Dickens last night. Not one of my favorites but wanted something short to read for a change. I may have to check out Moyes.
KristineNicole
Favorite Author: Emily Bronte
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: The Snow Child By Eowym Ivey
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristinenicole.html
fav_author_id: 2494

Post by KristineNicole »

I would have to recommend 'The Aeneid' by Virgil. It's got a trip to the Underworld, battle scenes that are beautifully written, and stunning imagery.
mmsv010929

Post by mmsv010929 »

In high school I read Wuthering Heights and thought that is was absolutely brilliant! The characters have so much depth and it was great to really work through it instead of just reading it. I try to take that approach on ever classic book that I read now.

Return to “Classic Books”