Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen - Potential Spoiler Alert

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BookBuffoonery
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookbuffoonery.html
Latest Review: "In Good Hands" by Billie Allen

Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen - Potential Spoiler Alert

Post by BookBuffoonery »

I'm curious about who else has read this book. I've read it a few times and watched both of the film adaptations. While it's not my favorite Austen novel, I enjoy it as a fun criticism of the gothic mania that was sweeping young girls away at that time. I also like to recommend this novel as a relatively painless way to ease into reading Austen, for those who never have before.

I'd have to say that Henry Tilney is my favorite character in the book. He's just a fun, down-to-earth guy who is genuinely concerned with Catherine's welfare, and an awesome brother to boot!

What did you think of it?
Latest Review: "In Good Hands" by Billie Allen
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I have read all her books a long time ago, including this one. I liked it, but her "Pride and prejudice" was my favorite one. I plan to reread her books some time.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

I haven't read many of Austin's novels, but this is one I would like to try. If this is a good way to start reading Austin, that might help me to get involved. Thank you for the post!
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Jeyran Main
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyran-main.html
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards

Post by Jeyran Main »

I Love Jane Austen as a person in general and the fact that I admire her courage to write at her time, considering her situation, puts me in a harder position in reviewing her work.

Reading 67 pages in, I found myself incredibly bored. I was so discouraged from the storyline that I even picked up my next book and severely considering to stop reading Northanger Abbey. I then remembered the vow to myself and decided to carry on in hopes of the book becoming more appealing.

The story slowly picks up and starts to get exciting and interesting. By then I thought that Catherine’s situation could not get any better. Then to my amazement, Jane’s form of writing, from a fiction point of view changed in style. The story takes on a thriller theme, almost bringing ghosts and murder into the compound of what used to be an average daily, nothing particular happening story. Mind you; we are 130 pages in the book!

On another note, Catherine’s relationship with Mr. Tilney has me thinking. Throughout the whole 220 pages in this book, you do not get to read any particular part where Tilney shows any particular regard, admiration, love, or attachment to Catherine. Even when they finally wed, Jane does not create a unique dialogue for such a proposal or love confession of any sort. This particular manner of writing put me off. In my opinion, if you are doing to drag the reader with anticipation for them to even meet throughout the entire book and only provide a glimpse of a very short dialogue between them, then the least you could do is to give it a sweet ending. Anything more than just a phase of explanation would have been good enough, the least.

Also, it almost felt like Isabelle changed her mind over choosing Catherine’s brother, James, once she discovered that Catherine did not find Isabelle’s brother to be a good match. Catherine pursues a man with a higher rank than hers, and this brought jealously to Isabelle. Once Isabelle noticed that another Tinley man is available, she started flirting with him and by that, she destroyed what she had with James.

A third person is mostly describing the story, and the description is based on assumptions and thoughts rather than dialogue and personal interactions. I think Isabelle received most of the spotlight when it came to talking and expressions, and she was not even the lead character.

In summary, I do recommend reading the book. Jane Austin is a great writer and very popular at her time. I prefer and love her other books more, though.

Has anyone else read this book or has any thoughts on it?

Jeyran Main
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards
ella_1
Currently Reading: The Lubetkin Legacy
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ella-1.html

Post by ella_1 »

I have tried Northanger Abbey a few times hoping to enjoy it as much as Jane Austen's other books but I just can't. I have never been able to really work out what it is missing but it doesn't seem to be anything specific, just the overall feel of the book. I find it draining to read and admit to having given up more than once. Quite a change from Pride and Prejudice, which keeps me coming back time and time again, despite being able to recite many of the lines from memory.
curious_daisy
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-curious-daisy.html

Post by curious_daisy »

this is actually my favorite Jane Austen book and I love it with a passion. It's so different from the rest of her work which is why I like it so much I think hehe :D
Missalaeneous
Currently Reading: Medical Sign Language
Bookshelf Size: 731
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missalaeneous.html

Post by Missalaeneous »

This book to me is where Austen was practicing her craft. She probably sent it out to the world and got the same responses, " I wish there was more chemistry between the main characters." It seemed like a "Virtue literature" book that were popular at the time. (I.E. Pansy-like). The heroine came across very shallow, and simply young, to me, even with the character development. I think Jane Austen' s opening narrative about Catherine not really being an ideal heroine was stop-on. I've wondered if all this amounts to the reason she didn't have it published, and it was only published after her death. It was her practice book, never meant to be set before the eyes of millions.
Pilar Guerrero
Favorite Author: Susan Clayton-Goldner
Currently Reading: The American Claimant
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pilar-guerrero.html
Latest Review: "Lady Ruth Bromfield" by Gordon Smith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 56111

Post by Pilar Guerrero »

I studied a BA degree in English and I did my thesis on this book, back in 1998 before Google and Wikipedia... I had to study all the Gothic literature first, the elements of plot, the characters, the conventions, without that backgroud I think it is normal that people find this book dry or boring.
Today I found this book in Librivox and listened to the first chapter and just laughed again as much as I laughed when I had to explain in my Thesis Defence Exam, how Jane Austen made fun of each element from Gothic literature... I consider this book a satire of that genre and from that point of view it is brilliant.
I agree that this is a good book to start reading Jane Austen, andher six novels are my challenge for this year :)
Latest Review: "Lady Ruth Bromfield" by Gordon Smith
kd_lawson
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kd-lawson.html

Post by kd_lawson »

I really enjoy this novel. I agree that it is a satire of the Gothic genre. The characters of Catherine and Tilney are so refreshing good. The novel definitely has a slightly lighter feel than most of Jane's other works. I think "Northanger Abbey" would be a much better place to start with Austen than say, "Mansfield Park," which -- while good -- is much more complex in my opinion.
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Christina O Phillips »

While I was earning my BA in English and Psychology I was lucky enough to take a whole class dedicated to Jane Austen. We read nearly all her work.

Northanger Abbey is definitely my favorite. As a writer and reader and someone who has an overactive imagination, I loved the MC Catherine and I love that it was written in a different style than her other books.

I am actually working on a research project right now about Austen's work.
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

I enjoyed it. It has Austen's trademark humor and clear, jaded view of human nature. Catherine was a very realistic portrait of a well-brought-up, but still immature, young girl. Henry understands her well enough to perceive her immaturity and be gentle with her even as he corrects her. Catherine could have been me at 15 or 16. Well done.

I didn't know that film adaptations had been done. Are they as light and creepy/funny as the book?
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

I really liked it, I read all of her work in high school, after purchasing a book called Jane Austen: The Complete Novels. It was entertaining, but I can't shake the feeling that most of her novels are similar. Basically, I think that if you read 2 or 3 novels, you kind of get an idea about how the rest are gonna turn out.
lettiebeth
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lettiebeth »

I read and loved this as a teenager. My all-time favorite Austen is Pride and Prejudice, but Mansfield Park is a close second. I agree that Northanger Abbey isn't her best work. It's a nice way to wile away a rainy afternoon, though. I have yet to read Emma or Lady Susan, but I also love Persuasion. The only Austen book I've read that I don't particularly care for is Sense and Sensibility.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

I was disappointed in this book. I kept expecting the characters to change. I had read that Ms Austin had put this novel aside, unpublished, the finished it in later life. If that's true it could explain the ambivalent ending.
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

It's not my favorite Austen book. In fact it's right down near the bottom of the list. But there are only so many Austen books, and each one contains a certain amount of wonderfulness. So I do reread Northanger Abbey regularly along with all the rest.

Return to “Classic Books”