The Sheik, by E.M. Hull

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LadySunshine
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladysunshine.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

The Sheik, by E.M. Hull

Post by LadySunshine »

Back in the days when I was a teenager in the late 1950's, I came across a book written by E.M. Hull, and it was called "The Sheik" . This book came out in the early 1920's, and was probably the start of the "desert-romance" style of book.
The story involves a rich and beautiful young English woman, who loved adventure, and went on a trip into the Sahara Desert. While there, she is captured by a handsome and exotic, but fierce, desert sheik, whom she eventually falls in love with and marries.
Their love affair is wild and passionate, and full of adventure, and the book was so well received that it soon became one of the early movies, and launched Rudolph Valentino into instant stardom.
Ms. Hull also wrote the sequel, called (appropriately enough) "The Sons of the Sheik", as well as several other love stories with a desert theme.
For many years, I assumed that EM Hull was a man, and I was very surprised to learn that she was a woman when I was researching that old classis book online a few years ago.
RT
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by lily_kh87 »

This looks like an interesting book to read. I never heard of it before so thanks for the post :D
Sweet Angel
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-angel.html

Post by Sweet Angel »

Look like a good and interesting book. Good review.

Return to “Classic Books”