All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot – Audiobook

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Samyann
Bookshelf Size: 10

All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot – Audiobook

Post by Samyann »

An autobiography, All Creatures Great and Small was written by James Herriot, audiobook narrated by Christopher Timothy, and is close to 16 hours of listening. Narration by Timothy is great, no issues and a pleasant listen.

A Norman Rockwell painting in print, or possibly A Prairie Home Companion radio broadcast, this story tells us of an innocent world cover to cover. No murder, no bad language, no sex, a clean … really clean … story. Depending on perspective, All Creatures Great and Small is young adult, although the story has moments of eloquent prose a seasoned reader will enjoy. Settings and environmental detail is nicely conveyed – you’ll smell the barn.

The story begins early in Jim Herriot’s life as a rural veterinarian and ends with his marriage just prior to WWII. The book is a compilation of short stories, Jim’s adventures as a vet, i.e., birthing pigs and cows, turning a foal in the womb, being “uncle” to a wealthy woman’s Pekinese and pet pig, and eccentric farmers pouring out old wives tales of animal cures. Example: Cut off the tail of a cow to let the worm out. Jim keeps a straight face through such advice if he wants to keep the farmer as a customer.

There are sequels to All Creatures Great and Small, a BBC television series, etc., it’s been around a long time – mid 1970s. A great story for a family read and discussion, or a gift for any animal lover. Just a lovely story. Enjoy.
Angela Stripes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 04073">The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf</a>
Currently Reading: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angela-stripes.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Angela Stripes »

I treasure this story. It's on my "favorites" shelf. Typically gore or detailed descriptions of the insides of the human body turn my stomach, but when James Herriot talks about lathering up to help deliver a calf... I couldn't put the book down.

I also enjoyed the clean nature of the book. His romance is sweet and endearing, if awkward at first! Its one that warmed my heart, and taught me something, and I feel as though its a part of this world tucked away in history and forgotten.

Thank you for posting on it! Reading your thoughts on it made my day. :)
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
Samyann
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Samyann »

I’ve not gone through the sequels, yet. But plan to because I imagine they are equally as good - same author, same narrator of audiobooks.

You’re right, this story is a treasure.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

I read this book years ago in high school. I could not remember the author's name. I just remembered that the title was a line of a hymn. It is a good book.
ChainsawCat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chainsawcat.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by ChainsawCat »

My dad read this out loud to me and my brother when we were young. We loved it. I did really like the BBC adaptation, too.
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

I read this book and would love to read the sequels. I was literally in tears laughing so hard when he tried out the new age calving suit. It was just so moving in so many ways.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

May I ask what you found so pleasant about the audiobook? Is it the voice itself, is he expressive?
Onyinyechi Obi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-obi.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Onyinyechi Obi »

I haven't read the follow-ups yet. However, I intend to since I'm sure they're just as good—the same author and narrator for the audiobooks, that is.

Return to “Classic Books”