Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert [SPOILERS]

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gnj
Bookshelf Size: 54

Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert [SPOILERS]

Post by Gnj »

I am curious to hear other people's thoughts on this novel.

From its description, I didn't think this book would appeal to me, but I decided to give it a go.

I wrongly assumed it was just another love story, but it is so so much more than that. It is a tale of what happens when we allow our fantasies to go too far; when we dwell so long within our steepled palaces inside our minds, that the whole world not only continues to pass us by, but often takes advantage of our delusions along the way.

The character who I found particularly interesting was the pharmacist, Homais. I felt he illustrated how easy it can often be to fall upon such grand theories and judgements without truly opening the eyes and seeing humanity for what it is.

I think this novel has a lesson for us all, and for me personally, it really highlighted the lost art of staying in the moment and accepting your blessings. It is so much easier to live in a world of fantasy, yet so much more rewarding to breathe in reality.
elena-09
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by elena-09 »

I could not agree more with you. This book teaches one of the most useful lessons in life: to make the best of what you have. If you are unhappy with your life you should not seek happiness by trying to copy other people lifes, they may as well be empty in the inside as your own. I approve of Madame Bovary's seeking for happiness, just the way she does is not the best one and she ends up hurting herself.

Return to “Classic Books”