Grimm Fairytales By Jakob and Wilhelm Grimm

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Listening_Thistle
Bookshelf Size: 0

Grimm Fairytales By Jakob and Wilhelm Grimm

Post by Listening_Thistle »

Grimm's Fairy Tales by Jakob & Wilhelm Grimm is a collection of 52 stories about many different characters, ranging from a single piece of straw to Hansel and Grethel. On average the stories are roughly five pages long. They are all rather diverse and different, not all likeable to everybody. In that way, its good that the stories are short, so you can rapidly speed through or skip the ones not to your liking. The stories can be interesting, and have a good storyline to follow, but you can't truly fall in love with the characters because the stories are so short. With the fascinations of many quickly moving plots, diverse as the members of the American community, you will find at least one you love.
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

I did love reading these, I really liked the darker aspects of the fairy tales we thought we knew.
R_A_McClure
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by R_A_McClure »

The thing I love most about Grimm's Fairytales is the brevity of each story! They were able to capture the cultural mindset of the Europe of their day with a concise style that still resonates with today's audience... I think because the stories themselves reflect and define who we are...just an opinion. "The Fisherman's Wife" is one of my favorite Grimm tales.
agent_books

Post by agent_books »

I love Grimms Stories! I really love it how they serve the characters. If you're good, then you're good. If you're bad, you get served bad. But what I really love is how wicked they get in every story.
MarteenReadsBooks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vergent</a>
Currently Reading: The Female of the Species
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marteenreadsbooks.html

Post by MarteenReadsBooks »

Omg I got that book from book a million the year Bogota last ,and it is so cool!
A_Doyle
Currently Reading: Shitty Mom
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-doyle.html

Post by A_Doyle »

I thoroughly enjoyed Grimm's Fairytales. It's interesting to compare modern variations of the tales to the much darker originals. My only complaint would be how repetitive I found some of them. Still a great and worthwhile read!
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

For those of you who are fans of the Brother's Grimm you might check out the fables of the Russian author Ivan Krylov. His stories can be found online. They are usually fairly short, usually only a page or two long, and each contains an Aesopian type moral. In addition each story is nicely illustrated.

If interested go here and simply click on the pages to turn them.
archive.org/stream/krilofhisfables00kry ... 1/mode/2up
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by barb429 »

I've always enjoyed Grimm's Fairytales, I actually took a class just for fun about fairytales last year and it was interesting to read all of the different versions of the different stories.
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Caroline--1997
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-1997.html

Post by Caroline--1997 »

I love reading Grimm Fairytales, the dark aspects of what culturally children now love is fascinating. I love comparing the two versions, and sometimes even more versions, and seeing the transformation of the dark and macabre to something that children can sing along too. It is interesting seeing how the symbolism and meaning change along with the elements.
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by lily_kh87 »

Wow! That seems like an interesting book :D I really like fairy tales and especially by the Grimm Brothers. I did not know that I can find them in one book. Thanks for sharing :D
Jjnessie 33
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjnessie-33.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by Jjnessie 33 »

I love it i enjoy disneys versions for young children but i think when kids hit like grade 3 they should have to read at least one Grimm fairy tale a semester. They have very good lessions in them.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
KatSims92
Currently Reading: The Beauty Myth
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katsims92.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by KatSims92 »

I love the Grimm brothers even though their minds were a little dark. It's so interesting how their stories have transcended and we all know at least a few of them. Hans Christian Anderson is a good read as well.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

I was surprised at how dark and gory the original tales were but I loved them. I can't believe that these were the benign fairy tales that were told to children.
Alliepaige

Post by Alliepaige »

Grimm's fairy tales is definitely in my top 5 favorite. I have not found a version a didn't like.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I like the Grimm's fairy tales, and the ones written by Hans Christian Anderson. It's interesting to see how different modern fairy tales are,and the ways that the old ones have been changed.

Return to “Classic Books”