Cancer Ward--Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
teacher_jane1
Currently Reading: The Quiet American
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacher-jane1.html
Latest Review: "Leading Change From Within" by Brian Strobel

Cancer Ward--Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Post by teacher_jane1 »

Cancer Ward is the great fictional endeavor of one of the 20th century's most compelling writers: Alexander Solzhenitsyn. A Russian soldier imprisoned by the Soviet regime he served, Solzhenitsyn went on to write the chilling One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, published under almost miraculous circumstances. He cemented his international literary reputation with Cancer Ward, a novel about a death ward in Soviet Russia for incurable cancer patients. Kostoglotov, a young political exile, is diagnosed with a malignant tumor and sent to a hospital, where he and his fellow patients must each grapple with the death that is spreading inside of them. Like in Albert Camus' The Plague, different characters react differently to the realization of their own mortality; some place hope in their belief in the power of the human soul, but most are weighed down by their deeds in life in the face of approaching death. Based on Solzhenitsyn's own experience in a hospital while in exile, the book is a stark metaphor for Stalinism: as the cancer of Stalinism spreads throughout Russia, it becomes clear that even Stalin's death will not save the broken body of the country. The only hope is to save the eternal soul.
Latest Review: "Leading Change From Within" by Brian Strobel
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

I had never made the connection between cancer and Stalinism while reading this book. Your post has given me a totally new perspective on this novel and I want to read it once again with your truly excellent observation in mind. Thank you so much for your insights on this amazing book.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright

Return to “Classic Books”