A Test Of Human Behavior! The Lord of The Flies

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sonyasimms2010
Bookshelf Size: 3

A Test Of Human Behavior! The Lord of The Flies

Post by sonyasimms2010 »

If cast-away, could man survive total isolation in an unknown environment? Could he come out with a sense of humanity? Would he be the same or would he be forever changed? What if said man were a child? Would his innocence become non-existent? These are the questions William Golding dared to ask in his book, The Lord of The Flies. Humans cast away in the wild, become animal-like, because it's the only way to survive; point blank period :snooty: . This book was actually an assignment in school that I never thought I would like. My opinion changed very, shortly after just reading the second chapter. The author, (William Golding) uses children to test the boundaries of human nature. In order to do so he had to use innocence to get as close to accuracy as possible.
A group of boy scouts and their mentors were on a ship that wrecked in the middle of the ocean. The survivors floated to a deserted island. No adults were found alive. Left to fend for themselves, the boys formed tribes with the idea that each tribe would have a specific functionality. One being the hunters of the group, the other being the cooks and so on and so forth. Only to find, it was somewhat of a self fulfilling prophesy. The hunters, became control ridden and hungry for violence. It was bullying on another level, only this time there was no one wise enough to help or experienced enough to delegate.
One question I had after reading this book was, if this group had been a group of adults instead of children, would they have lost their societal senses quicker or slower than the children did :eusa-think: ? We already know that (in some situations) bullying takes place with adults just as it does with children, but as this more a case of people who have never had to be independent, would bullying still be a thriving factor. As always the movie didn't meet the standard the book set :roll: . However under-rated, this book, was a delight to read :D .
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Duplicated topic - there is already a topic open for this book.

The Lord of The Flies
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Classic Books”